Languages

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: geigespieler_*

Guest: geigespieler_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:44

English seems so widespread nowadays, that many non-English speaking nations even the asian ones are learning to speak English in addition to their native tongue. Do you all think that in another 500 years, all other languages would die out execpt the English Language. I think it is quite possible. That would be so sad.

#2 Guest: Watermelon sugar_*

Guest: Watermelon sugar_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:47

QUOTE(geigespieler @ Sep 8 2005, 05:44 AM)
English seems so widespread nowadays, that many non-English speaking nations even the asian ones are learning to speak English in addition to their native tongue. Do you all think that in another 500 years, all other languages would die out execpt the English Language. I think it is quite possible. That would be so sad.

There's equally a case that languages old and new will 'break out' . Humanity is teetering on the edge of its own demise as should be perfectly clear all over. I hate to make projections but the world is well overcrowded with respect to the resources it can yield. You've seen many animal species large and small threatened with extinction or actually going extinct. Remember - humans are just further up this chain and they're pushing themselves out. In the last century, the human population doubled every 30 years so make your own projections!

What this preamble means to me is that there'll be a few catastrophes in 500 years that could fragment humanity, throwing survivors into small tribes & communities. Soon English will be an obsolete langauge as Latin is.
ohmy.gif

#3 Guest: curacao_*

Guest: curacao_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:08

I don't class me as a doom & gloom person but I cannot see humanity lasting another 500 years unless we've left to colonise another world. I think that english will get so modified by the many cultures trying to take it in that it will resemble today's english only vaguely not too far in the future.

China is giving America very bad economic turns at the moment and there's an inevitability. Was on the news the other night because of the bra wars. We could all end up speaking Mandarin if we wish to do business with China. Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world.

laugh.gif

#4 Guest: elmo_*

Guest: elmo_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:45

It's said that by 2020 spanish will become the most Internationally spoken language ie for business and communication and stuff. In USA, especially in New York, you can go into a bar, order something in Spanish and get exactly what you want it since most people speak it fluently ir fluently enough.

#5 Guest: musicmad_banana_*

Guest: musicmad_banana_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 16:20

Don't you just hate it when you are in a foreign country and you are having a go at talking to people in their own language and they speak to you in English? When I was in Barcelona recently, before I had even spoken a word, the people automatically said 'Hello'!! ohmy.gif

#6 Guest: elmo_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 16:47

I was trying to explain this to my friend. If a french person came here, no matter how good enlgish they spoke, I would still try and speak to them in french because I'd want to talk in french to a real live french person! It's the same for them when they meet English people.

It got to the point in one shop where my friend was talking french and the shop woman was talking in english back. I was like, what's the point?! Pick one language someone please! laugh.gif

#7 Guest: Helen_*

Guest: Helen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 16:49

QUOTE(elmo @ Sep 8 2005, 05:47 PM)
I was trying to explain this to my friend. If a french person came here, no matter how good enlgish they spoke, I would still try and speak to them in french because I'd want to talk in french to a real live french person! It's the same for them when they meet English people.

Yeah, but a lot of English people assume everyone in Europe speaks English...

Although I got to use my french in the summer... In the Czech Republic! The person who worked at the youth hostel wanted to know why we were late... but only spoke french and german.

#8 Guest: elmo_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 16:52

Yep true, so people automatically speak english to you, coz we stick out a mile! Except the woman in the airport who was struggling to give us instructions, so we said, do it in french we both can speak french. She looked so relieved!

We spoke German in Brazil sometimes, if we couldn't think of things we wanted in porutguese. Like paint brushes! We started off in portuguese, would replace the occasional word with german and then carry on in portuguese! It was ace!

#9 Guest: Helen_*

Guest: Helen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 17:16

QUOTE(elmo @ Sep 8 2005, 05:52 PM)

We spoke German in Brazil sometimes, if we couldn't think of things we wanted in porutguese. Like paint brushes! We started off in portuguese, would replace the occasional word with german and then carry on in portuguese! It was ace!

Lol broken german and portuguese! M y french teacher does that sometimes (not the german and portuguese bit, but if he thinks there is something he just said that we don't understand, he will repeat the word in English, and carry on a sentence in full flow in 2 languages!

#10 Guest: sarah-flute_*

Guest: sarah-flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 19:39

If you study languages at uni you'll probably find that between you and your fellow linguists you'll end up speaking a hybrid language... especially once you come back from time abroad, and when the word in the other language is not easy to translate or just sounds better!

Yes, I find it annoying when people speak to me in English in foreign countries. I would only speak in Russian to a Russian here if I was certain that they were happier that way/they weren't trying to learn English.

It was a problem in St Pete - it's horrible when the only reason people want to spend time with you is to practice English... but in Ulyanovsk far fewer people speak English, and those who did were happy to swap languages, and also it was very clear (on the whole!) that they wanted to spend time with us whether we were speaking English or Russian - they were interested in us, not the languages we could speak.

#11 Guest: Rainbow_*

Guest: Rainbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 20:51

Don't you just hate it when you are in a foreign country and you are having a go at talking to people in their own language and they speak to you in English? When I was in Barcelona recently, before I had even spoken a word, the people automatically said 'Hello'!!

That happened to me in Barcelona recently!! Didn't think that my Spanish was that bad!

I think that it is very sad that languages could die out, as languages are part of a particular culture's heritage, as well as being fun to learn.

Slightly off the topic, my Science teacher said today that instead of us spending years learning to speak foreign languages, we should learn to speak English with a foreign accent as, according to him, we would be understood more easily! Don't agree with him though!

#12 Guest: sarah-flute_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 20:53

QUOTE(Rainbow @ Sep 8 2005, 08:51 PM)
Slightly off the topic, my Science teacher said today that instead of us spending years learning to speak foreign languages, we should learn to speak English with a foreign accent as, according to him, we would be understood more easily! Don't agree with him though!

?!?!?!?

Your science teacher is a Very Strange Man.

#13 Guest: Rainbow_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 20:59

You're not kidding.... no one in our set believes more than half of what he says about anything.... he did help me to get an A* for my year 10 science modules that are worth 25% of the final grade though!!!

#14 Guest: sarah-flute_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 21:01

Maybe it's part of being a good teacher - my best science teachers at school were invariably complete lunatics.

#15 Guest: Rainbow_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 21:01

Very Strange Man

Sounds like the Big Friendly Giant (BFG) from Roald Dahl! Just invented a new type of person: VSMs!!!!!!!!!