#1 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 01 September 2022 - 10:05

I'm looking for some collections of tangos for my daughter to play on the piano (she's post grade 8, but anything grade 6+ will do).

Please can anyone recommend some arrangements or pieces? I'm wary of the various Piazzolla volumes as the reviews haven't been so good, but would love to find a collection that might be suitable.

Thanks

#2 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6240 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 01 September 2022 - 10:20

You could have a look at the piano accordion repertoire - some of it is still written as piano music. I have Ascherberg's Third Piano Accordion Album (1937) with "Tell Me I'm Forgiven" in it. If she is in to Paso Dobles, I also have "Ranchero Argentino" (no. 22 in the Hohner Popular Series of Piano Accordion Music). (1939). I have the Libertango as a single sheet for piano (Peters) but have not tried it yet.

Would your daughter watch Strictly (coming soon!) :wub: and be able to pick out the famous tango tunes and chuck in some chords (which are usually I IV and V). La Cumparsita, Hernando's Hideaway etc?

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19514 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 01 September 2022 - 13:37

Piazzola was one of the big Tango composers. Hes been in Gr 8 only once with a piece called Retrato di Alfredo Gobbi (In 2009) , but Im not sure if its really a Tango.I think there's a couple by Albeniz also eg Tango No 2 from 'Espana' but only Grade 6 set, I guess there must also be a Tango No 1 !    No 2 is quite a well known piece.

#4 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4944 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 01 September 2022 - 15:50

There is a book called Tangos-Selected Works for the Piano published by Alfred. I know nothing about the book but it is available from forsyths so you can look what's in it on their website.
There's also French Tangos for piano from Eaglemusic. I feel tempted to get one of these myself.

#5 agricola

agricola

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2007 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 01 September 2022 - 22:50

You could look on the IMSLP website for tango composers, eg Luis Calvo and Ernesto Nazareth.

#6 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:01

Thank you everyone! I've ordered the Tangos for Piano book from Alfred's. It looks like exactly the thing I was after.