#16 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1997 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 31 July 2022 - 12:00

Does anyone remember 'Sing Something Simple' on the radio (or do I mean wireless)?  My Granny's favourite programme but definitely not mine.  All those sugary chords  :sick:

#17 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7519 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 31 July 2022 - 16:34

Wasn't it the 'Swingle Singers' or something like that?

#18 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2505 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 31 July 2022 - 16:50

The Cliff Adams Singers - Swingles came later.

Yes lots of cheesy harmonies - 'We'll sing something simple for you - something for yoouu'. My Dad used to love it. 

#19 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6084 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 31 July 2022 - 16:51

I can vaguely remember that tune - gosh that's going back a bit!

#20 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7264 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 01 August 2022 - 19:26

La Folia. Get a new idea.

#21 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2257 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 03 August 2022 - 21:21

Oh, sing something simple has just reminded me of "Pedagogical Pop". Does anyone remember that? World-service...

#22 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:41

And there were the Mike Sammes Singers too. What was worse about Sing Something Simple was that culturally it went hand in hand with the black and white minstrel show. Ruined every Sunday evening for me when I was a kid.

For me the trombone has to go into room 101. Either that, or make it illegal to do a glissando on one.

And Philip Glass.

And Arvo Paart.

And Rock Opera.

And "musicals"

#23 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:46

Harpsichords. I know some people love them but when I hear one played I just think wouldn’t it sound better on a piano.

Funnily enough, I'm listening to a "Bach piano concertos" CD at the moment thinking, there's something desperately inauthentic about this (and I don't usually much like period instruments). Did Bach ever write any "piano concertos"? And yet it seems natural for Gould to have played Bach on a Steinway.

#24 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:26

Did Bach ever write any "piano concertos"? And yet it seems natural for Gould to have played Bach on a Steinway.

No. Bach was critical of Cristofori's early pianos that he tried, saying that they were bland in the upper register and would never replace the harpsichord. However, by 1747 (shortly before his death) he acknowledged that later instruments by Silbermann were a great improvement over Cristofori's models.

#25 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 06 August 2022 - 16:52

The last time there was a similar thread to this, I mentioned a piece and was comprehensively mangled by multiple forum members, so I’m staying quiet this time...

#26 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Member: 898095
  • Yorkshire

Posted 06 August 2022 - 17:25

Having listened every day to the appointed suggestion in 'Another Year of Wonder' by Clemency Burton-Hill, I am spoiled for room 101 choice. Occasional lovely new discoveries keep me going, but her taste is very different to mine. Forcing myself to choose, I'd like to chuck into room 101 and slam the door on all the directionless, modern choral music that is all drippy atmosphere and no tune, which CB-H recommends.

#27 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 06 August 2022 - 19:53

The last time there was a similar thread to this, I mentioned a piece and was comprehensively mangled by multiple forum members, so I’m staying quiet this time...

Musical snobs can be locked in too!

#28 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7519 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 06 August 2022 - 20:15

Having listened every day to the appointed suggestion in 'Another Year of Wonder' by Clemency Burton-Hill, I am spoiled for room 101 choice. Occasional lovely new discoveries keep me going, but her taste is very different to mine. Forcing myself to choose, I'd like to chuck into room 101 and slam the door on all the directionless, modern choral music that is all drippy atmosphere and no tune, which CB-H recommends.

...with lots of very dissonant suspensions... There's a certain type of mid/late C20th English choral music that is also grim, with some exceptions.  

#29 David Garner

David Garner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Member: 26836

Posted 07 August 2022 - 20:24

And there were the Mike Sammes Singers too. What was worse about Sing Something Simple was that culturally it went hand in hand with the black and white minstrel show. Ruined every Sunday evening for me when I was a kid.

Was it the Cliff Adams Singers or the Mike Sammes Singers that had the single accordionist accompanying them?

Sunday evenings were weird back then, weren't they? First Songs of Praise on TV, then we'd have our "tea" which back then meant cold cuts, then back to the wireless for Sing Something Simple, then Sunday Half Hour, then Alan Keith with his "classics for you" programme. 

Mind you, I'd prefer any of them over most of the rubbish I seem to be subjected to nowadays on broadcast media.

For me, the entirety of BBC1 and 2's output could go into Room 101, along with Radio 1 and 2 (except for Jeremy Vine). I'd keep BBC4, Radio 3 and parts of Radio 4, and that's about it.

Now I'll put on my flack jacket and go and hide :-)