#1 Timothy C.

Timothy C.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 893317

Posted 04 July 2022 - 09:31

Hi all,

I am preparing for my RNCM BMus audition, and I have a very hard time deciding on what pieces I should be playing. I am to prepare only three contrasting pieces that last between 15-20 minutes. 

I have different sets of repertoire for this audition, but I can't really tell if they are "contrasting" enough..

Set 1:

1. Bach WTC BWV874 in D major - Prelude & Fugue [6'00] DipABRSM level / 18th century

2. Chopin - Ballad no.3 Op.47 [7'00] LRSM level / 19th century

3. Rachmaninoff -   prelude op.32 no.5 [3'50] LRSM level / 20th century

Set 2:

1. Bach WTC BWV874 in D major - Prelude & Fugue [6'00] DipABRSM level / 18th century

3. Liszt/Schumann - Widmung [4'00] / 19th century

Set 3:

3. Debussy - Jardins Sous la Pluie [4'00] / LRSM level / 20th century - Impressionistic 

Set 4:
1. Beethoven Sonata Tempest Op.31 no.2 1st movement [7'00] - LRSM level/ early 19th century - classical

2.Chopin - Ballad no.3 Op.47 [7'00] LRSM level / 19th century / Romantic

3.Chopin - Etude op.10 no.4/5 or Op.25 no.1 or Op.25 no.2 [2'00] LRSM level / 19th century 

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:17

Of your 4 sets, Set 1 offers the greatest variety while Set 4 offers the least.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19379 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:48

I wouldnt do set 4.  Id also pick set 1 , or possibly 3.

#4 Timothy C.

Timothy C.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 893317

Posted 05 July 2022 - 13:26

Thanks!!

#5 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 06 July 2022 - 14:40

I’m not very familiar with piano repertoire, but am a strings teacher who is used to preparing students for conservatoire and orchestra auditions. My core advice for repertoire choices are 

- pick something that is technically comfortable for you so that you can shine musically

-pick pieces that you love playing ! You will be practicing these intensively , so make sure it’s something that you really enjoy. Also, when it gets to the audition it’s much easier to perform something that you  love, than something which makes your heart sink every time you open the piano. 

-  pick pieces which show your musicality, character and strengths right from the start -  the audition panel will be listening to a LOT of candidates so make sure you grab their attention right from the start. You only have one chance at a first impression , so make it your best one. 
-  Balance your programme, and plan to balance your practice time.  Read the audition requirements for your ‘aspiration’ ‘realistic reach’ and ‘safety’ conservatoires, and plan your repertoire so that there is as much overlap as possible . I don’t know about piano, but for strings, some conservatoires specify particular composer/period concerto , others require a study, still others are more free but ask for contrasting styles. The less you have to practice and polish the easier your workload will be . 

- For conservatoire, they are looking for musicians who will thrive and benefit most from their teaching and courses. That is not the same as being a ‘perfect pianist/violinist/etc ‘ when you go . Aim to show what you can do well,  not what you can only just manage.

When you chose your repertoire, as well as learning the pieces to your very best musical standard, research as much as you can so that you have plenty of background to inform your performance and interpretation , and also to give you lots of material to talk about in an interview ( interview panels often ask about your pieces/repertoire/choices to learn more about what makes you ‘tick’ as a musician) .

Is this the Joint Course ? Good luck with your prep  !