Sakura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Member: 4419
  • Asia

Posted 10 April 2022 - 07:30

Hi, I have just passed Grade Five Theory with Distinction! As you all know, Grades 1-5 have been greatly revamped for the online switch from 2020 but I don't know how Grades 6-8 paper exams have been affected.

I am aware that 6-8 focuses mainly on composition and is a huge jump from Grade 5.

Are the older exam papers for Grade Six still relevant? Which books do you recommend? Is the Theory Workbook Grade 6 still useful?

https://shop.abrsm.o...-Grade-6/611515

Thank you.

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 10 April 2022 - 09:12

I am aware that 6-8 focuses mainly on composition and is a huge jump from Grade 5.

Not really. Grades 6-8 focus on exercises in harmony and counterpoint, which are very different to composing, plus questions on two unseen short extracts presented in score. You are correct to say that there is a huge jump from Grade 5. For the harmony and counterpoint questions, the simplest books, which contain many exercises, are the A-level Harmony Workbooks 1 and 2 by Hugh Benham, published by Rhinegold. Although written primarily for A-level, as their title suggests, they are very suitable for higher grade theory exams (which are referenced within the books) and are very, very much clearer than anything published by the ABRSM.

#3 Sakura

Sakura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Member: 4419
  • Asia

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:10

Not really. Grades 6-8 focus on exercises in harmony and counterpoint, which are very different to composing, plus questions on two unseen short extracts presented in score. You are correct to say that there is a huge jump from Grade 5. For the harmony and counterpoint questions, the simplest books, which contain many exercises, are the A-level Harmony Workbooks 1 and 2 by Hugh Benham, published by Rhinegold. Although written primarily for A-level, as their title suggests, they are very suitable for higher grade theory exams (which are referenced within the books) and are very, very much clearer than anything published by the ABRSM.

Thank you, I will check out the books. I didn't do music at O or A-levels though I sure wish I did! I used to really envy my peers who were doing it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, grade six theory