Sakura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Member: 4419
  • Asia

Posted 19 December 2021 - 14:31

Hi, I've been going over the new online Grade Five Theory by myself. Question 3.5 asks you to "circle one clef for each scale to form minor scales" from a choice of four clefs.

Which is the most efficient way to figure out the correct clef? Ï've been working out TS TTS TT  for each clef to see which clef fits but it's slow going, especially since the sixth and seventh notes may be raised for melodic minors. Thank you!

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:43

Do you have to distinguish between melodic and harmonic minors? Surely you only need to check the first three notes to answer the question.

#3 Sakura

Sakura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Asia

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:27

Do you have to distinguish between melodic and harmonic minors? Surely you only need to check the first three notes to answer the question.

No, but sometimes it seems that more than one clef will have the first three notes right so I would have to narrow down the correct answer.

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 22 December 2021 - 17:12

I've just had a look at the sample paper you can download here: https://forums.abrsm.org...r-version-2.pdf - your question is no. 3.5.

The notes of the scales are all in order, the first two ascending and the last one descending. Start from the lowest note, the root, and try each clef in turn to achieve this pattern: root - whole tone - semi-tone. This lets you narrow down the possibilities - in question 'a' it is either D minor in the bass clef, or A in the tenor clef. So you need to check the chromatic alterations to see if they makes sense: in the tenor clef you would end up with A - B - C - D - E - Fb .... which is obviously wrong.

Hope this helps.

#5 Sakura

Sakura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Asia

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:34

I've just had a look at the sample paper you can download here: https://forums.abrsm...r-version-2.pdf - your question is no. 3.5.

The notes of the scales are all in order, the first two ascending and the last one descending. Start from the lowest note, the root, and try each clef in turn to achieve this pattern: root - whole tone - semi-tone. This lets you narrow down the possibilities - in question 'a' it is either D minor in the bass clef, or A in the tenor clef. So you need to check the chromatic alterations to see if they makes sense: in the tenor clef you would end up with A - B - C - D - E - Fb .... which is obviously wrong.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for taking your time to go through the sample paper though I am unable to access it. I will try your technique on my practice papers. Merry Xmas! Have upvoted you.

#6 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2294 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 23 December 2021 - 10:30

Thank you for taking your time to go through the sample paper though I am unable to access it.

That's probably because of a long-standing bug on the forum software that messes up URLs like the one given by LoneM. Your best bet, if you still need to find the paper, is to do a Google seach for

Music Theory Grade 5 2020 Sample Paper - ABRSM