Photo

Parents telling you if someone is positive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Iulia

Iulia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 18 September 2021 - 16:32

I just had a message from the parent of a student I taught on Monday, informing me he tested positive on Thursday. I've just taken a test and its negative, but still. I taught six students today.
I am being reasonable to have a word with him about the possible consequences of not bothering to tell me until today, or have the school and parents become so blase now that its not considered necessary to inform contacts if someone tests positive?? I'm in England.

#2 Iulia

Iulia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 16:33

PS I travel and teach in the homes of students.

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4567 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 18 September 2021 - 16:42

I wonder if they had reported the result in which case test and trace should have been involved. I had a pupil test positive at the May half term. The family didn’t tell me directly but I got contacted by test and trace. This took a day or two and I had been out and about. Now of course I wouldn’t be obliged to isolate unless I developed symptoms. I did feel annoyed the family didn’t tell me directly but I think they felt embarrassed as they were spoiling people’s half term.

Actually thinking about it, if he tested positive on Thursday, you’re only contacted if you’ve been with the person within the last 48 hours so they didn’t need to tell you.

#4 Iulia

Iulia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 17:04

Actually thinking about it, if he tested positive on Thursday, you’re only contacted if you’ve been with the person within the last 48 hours so they didn’t need to tell you.

That is why I'm mulling my response over. As it happens I did test negative this evening. Its just that I'm a bit shocked that knowing I was in their house, and knowing I visit many houses, they didn't make the effort of what I feel was courtesy whether they 'needed' to or not of letting me know for my sake and my other students, not just so they could cancel their lesson in time ...

#5 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5725 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 18 September 2021 - 18:19

He might have done the lateral flow test on Thursday and the PCR to be sure later - I wouldn't say anything in this instance. 

#6 Iulia

Iulia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 19:22

But if the lateral flow was positive on Thursday presumably he would have had to stay off school pending the result of PCR? If lateral flow is positive you have to assume you have the virus until a PCR clears you, not the other way round ...

#7 Iulia

Iulia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 19:27

I suppose I simply cannot imagine the rationale of testing positive and not bothering to inform the people you have been in recent close contact with, whether the law requires you to or not, even if waiting another test, I would have thought basic civility would.

I had another student in similar situation in July. The lateral flow was positive. They informed me the same day and moved lesson online. Confirmatory PCR was negative.

I think I answered my own question anyway. Thanks for your thoughts. I have an issue with this if no one else does.

#8 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 19 September 2021 - 15:51

Trouble is, how far back do you go? If he got symptoms on Thursday, and they tested on Thursday, and he tested positive, they might have just assumed that the whole thing started on Thursday, and didn't consider that he might have been infectious before having symptoms. Or they might be one of those cautious groups who are testing twice a week (we're encouraged to at work), in which case his other test might have been Monday, and if it came back negative, they'd have assumed he was clear on Monday. It's really hard to work out what to think. My main concern is all those people walking around who've tested negative by the lateral flow test because the lateral flow test is basically rubbish (certainly as operated by most of us self-swabees), but who still have covid (though hopefully they're not as infectious as those who genuinely test positive by lateral flow).

#9 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8701 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 September 2021 - 19:37

This may not help much as the situation and regulations are probably not the same here as in the UK but at the beginning of the school year I insist that all parents sign a copy of my T and C's - here known as the Règlement Interieur. It's different every year for various reasons and for the last and this  September  there has been a separate document added on as the Covid règlement Interieur in which I set out what they are to do in case of either contact or infection. I also warn that this may have to be revised in the event of any governement advice or directives.

#10 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:11

My main concern is all those people walking around who've tested negative by the lateral flow test because the lateral flow test is basically rubbish (certainly as operated by most of us self-swabees), but who still have covid (though hopefully they're not as infectious as those who genuinely test positive by lateral flow).

The last bit above (in brackets) is the key point. Lateral Flow tests are good at picking up those with a high viral load, and those are the ones who are most infectious. A large study by by researchers at Queen Mary University of London, University of Oxford, the Institute for Advanced Studies, Vienna, and the Medical University of Graz, published in July, found that they have similar accuracy to laboratory-based PCR tests, providing they are used at the onset of infection and soon after symptoms start, when the viral load is high.

#11 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 20 September 2021 - 14:30

good point!

Iulia, I forgot to add: I hope you remain well, and I think a tactful thing you could very reasonably do is along Aquarelle's lines: send out a reminder to all your students that if they test positive and have had a lesson with you within the last X days, they should give you notice within 24 hours, so you can protect your other students from further infection. It's a reasonable ask.

#12 Grotrian

Grotrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 900774

Posted 20 September 2021 - 14:52

To be fair, he might have taken the test on Thursday and not got a positive result back till yesterday. Or worse he might have taken the test and got a test result back that was negative only to have track and trace phone them yesterday and tell them actually he is positive and that the first result was wrong. I've had to deal with both scenarios and it does make it a nightmare especially when you have to deal with the fall out of that person exposing all your other staff and them having to do PCRs to rule out infection.

I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt as the track and trace system is a shambles.