#121 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:35

I am going to tackle the big bedroom category today. Definitely. A bit later. The Vax is already in there so I only need to move a few things, and I'm only doing it with plain water as it's still soapy from all the post-fostering vaxing that it had. Definitely doing it. A bit later.

#122 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:24

I did it! It was filthy.

#123 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5768 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 21 October 2021 - 14:00

Well done Banjogirl! I've just returned from trundling a load of books in a plastic container on wheels to the Oxfam shop - two wheels fell off, and then an off duty prison officer took pity on me and helped me carry it. Hurrah! 80 books less in the last 3 days, one ordered to fill info gap (British cattle breeds) - quality of library much improved and now I know what's there. :)

#124 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 15:29

Well done!

#125 Catey

Catey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Member: 71060

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:00

Plan written as to what needs decluttering! Probably tried to put too many rooms on the list for one half term holiday though! 

Our bedroom is cleaned and furniture moved around into much more pleasing positions. Big pile of old kids clothes to be sorted into charity / sell / bin today. Going to go through my wardrobe to see what can be sorted from there.  Off to b&q later to get a new light shade and a decent bulb for the main light (we get more light from the street lamp outside). It felt lovely to wake up in a calm environment. 

This decluttering thread is great for making me focus!

#126 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5768 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:06

Great stuff Catey - have fun at B and Q! I struggled with motivation this week due to hitting some mind numbing box files full of technical info, but am getting there - I kept repeating Badstrad's saying to myself "Don't be afraid of moving slowly, be afraid of standing still". Thanks Badstrad. :)

#127 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7008 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:24

Great stuff Catey - have fun at B and Q! I struggled with motivation this week due to hitting some mind numbing box files full of technical info, but am getting there - I kept repeating Badstrad's saying to myself "Don't be afraid of moving slowly, be afraid of standing still". Thanks Badstrad. :)

That's a good saying.

I don't know if anyone watched the 1980s Liverpool based sitcom "Bread", but there was a good saying which I often use to myself.  Billy says "But I don't know where to begin". His ex-wife replies, "It doesn't matter where you begin, just start somewhere"!

#128 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8750 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:23

That's a good saying.

I don't know if anyone watched the 1980s Liverpool based sitcom "Bread", but there was a good saying which I often use to myself.  Billy says "But I don't know where to begin". His ex-wife replies, "It doesn't matter where you begin, just start somewhere"!

Quite right. Start somewhere - say I looking at the mountainous tip that I used to call my "study." I have decided not to go to bed tonight until I have actually started somewhere. But I will have to leave myself a message to say where as the next time I am likely  to accidentally start somewhere else.

#129 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:24

I did some decluttering! I threw out quite a lot of rubbish from the spare room, and dumped some old Beano annuals on the family up the road. I put a few things away where they should have been, and sorted the toys. There is empty shelf space!

#130 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5768 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 13:57

Does anyone have any handy tips for getting rid of confidential waste? I used to do bonfires but the neighbours aren't too happy, and some of the items include cardboard so are too thick to go through a shredder. Wish I knew someone who is having a Nov 5th bonfire! 

#131 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7218 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 27 October 2021 - 14:01

Does anyone have any handy tips for getting rid of confidential waste? I used to do bonfires but the neighbours aren't too happy, and some of the items include cardboard so are too thick to go through a shredder. Wish I knew someone who is having a Nov 5th bonfire!

I sometimes tear off the confidential bits and put them in the same bag as the used cat litter before it goes in the large black bin bag for the weekly rubbish collection.

#132 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20583 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 27 October 2021 - 14:38

A commercial shredder company will do it for you. Collect until you have a worthwhile amount (oh sorry - doesn’t qualify as decluttering at this this stage! ), and then take it along.  We have a domestic one that will take cardboard and credit cards, but a colleague of ours used a company and found them very reasonable.  Mind - the cat litter solution is a good one ! 

#133 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5768 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 14:58

:lol: Thanks folks! Being neurotic, I have to personally supervise the destruction of the material, just to be sure. Which is annoying as most of it isn't even my stuff. Heigh ho!

#134 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1980 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 27 October 2021 - 15:33

Tear it up and put it in the compost bin. If you put some rotting stuff on top of it, it will quickly be unreadable and after a while it will become something useful...compost! :) (Don't do this with credit cards though. )

#135 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 15:46

Use bonfire night for your bonfire. The neighbours are much less likely to complain, and you can cook sausages over the embers. Result!