#91 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 26 September 2021 - 20:11

My house is a complete tip and I really need to sort it. I've spent the last couple of years doing essential repairs (like replacing rotten floors and fixing a falling down wall) and it has just got messier and messier. There is stuff everywhere that has been moved out the way for the work and things that haven't been moved for a while are covered in plaster/brick dust. I'm hoping to spend the winter slowly working through it all, starting with the kitchen. This week I've bought some racks to fix on the cupboard doors for small things like herbs and spices and cleared some stuff off the work top. I've packed up a load of wine glasses that we never use for the charity shop. Don't worry, we still have plenty of glasses to use... Its amazing what you find when you empty cupboards right to the back. Mouldy jam anyone?

#92 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:24

Mouldy jam could be a valuable food souce for hungry birds! :) You are doing serious D.I.Y. Zwhe - think of all the money you are saving! Can you get another family member to clear up and declutter while you continue to do the hard stuff? I'm very impressed and wish I had your skills!

#93 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:47

You'll get there, zwhe! I do sympathise. It's all very well painting a room because you no longer like the decor but when it's renovation, it can drag on and on. I like the idea of using it as an opportunity to off-load the unneeded! :) That's very positive!

#94 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:37

Go go go you Sunday declutterers! :woot: I'm about to hit the scary corner of the loft with the 1000s of family photos of people I don't recognise dating back to heaven knows when. Gulp. I may be some time....

#95 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 15:11

I didn't even get to the photos - I found my ever so thorough late mum's folders of horticultural lecture notes, OHTs and handouts first. And multiple copies of every handout "just  in case!" This is probably very good for my education but I have pruning diagram trauma. 5 hours in and another 2 to go. Howl! :(

#96 zwhe

zwhe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 03 October 2021 - 15:20

I have just finished removing some built in wardrobes. It took 6 hours over 2 days (and much bad language!). If I ever find out who built them, words will be had. They screwed everything to the wall in with 4 inch screws and no wall plug of any kind. The force it took to get the screws into solid brick meant that they were all bent and had damaged heads. I have bruised my hands forcing them out.

We use the biggest bedroom as a living room as my teaching studio is in the front room downstairs, so we have had bookcases in front of the wardrobes for years. The room is so much bigger now! We sorted the DVDs as we put the bookcases back so now have a load more stuff to go.

On the positive side, they were made from solid wood so I am going to salvage what I can to make a bath panel and fitted cupboard in the bathroom. It should save me some money.

#97 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 17:30

Well done Zwhe! That's serious Decluttering Thread A star achievement, worthy of a cream cake! Are you doing the "fill the holes with Polyfilla (other brands are available) thing" next?

I've finished sorting out the gardening lecture notes and feel spaced out like a zombie. The good bit was finding a £2 coin in an envelope which was decorated according to some garden design style or other. Sxd that - I'm using it to buy cake! Heading for Strictly soon as a reward. :)

#98 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:10

Found a waste disposal place that wanted my old concrete so I got rid of it for free! :)

#99 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 12:31

Found a waste disposal place that wanted my old concrete so I got rid of it for free! :)

Will they take the whole house? :)

#100 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 13:15

:lol: You must have seen the state of my bungalow!

#101 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 13:31

:lol: You must have seen the state of my bungalow!

No, no.  I was thinking this house. There have been times when I'd quite cheerfully have taken the entire building to the tip! But we're almost there now... I have a deadline of October 31st 2021. I did one time want to screw one of the doors shut and just have it as a 'wing' of the house we never went in. Like many of those old horror films... :lol:

#102 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 14:29

Are you moving house? Some buyers would pay a premium for a haunted wing with a Grey Lady or Headless Horseman. :)

#103 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 15:47

Are you moving house? Some buyers would pay a premium for a haunted wing with a Grey Lady or Headless Horseman. :)

No. I'm never ever buying another house ever. I've bought enough. I'm still counting scars from the last experiences. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've felt like sticking 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here' on a couple of the rooms! But, as I say, we're nearly there. We've just carried millions of preserving jars/bottles and wine making stuff into the barn. So we can now see our utility room!!!! Bliss. I haven't seen it in months.

Our problem here has been that not only did we have our junk but we had the junk of several previous owners because parts of the barn were so dark it wasn't possible to see all the junk. We're having another skip very soon so hopefully it will be a final farewell to all the rubbish. We had the en-suite and bathroom done last week so we've now got all that debris as well! We've got two enormous heaps of stuff in the wilderness that we call 'garden'... :lol: But honestly, having two new actually working showers is brilliant!!! 

PS I'd quite like piles of photos - but the stuff we've found here is just old rusty/broken junk!

#104 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:47

Our (final?) skip arrives on Monday! I am so looking forward to chucking the latest pile of junk into it. We're intending to have everything finished by 1st November when we've decided that we'll go back to learning music theory by way of a celebration! :lol:

#105 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5765 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:13

Never was an augmented 4th so much fun! :lol: I'm just sorting out endless tubes with posters in - some will become birthday and Christmas wrapping paper. :)