#1 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 28 August 2021 - 16:00

I'm thinking about getting a dehumidifier to look after my piano. Have other people on the forum done this, and can anyone offer any advice? Like most things in life, there are too many options to choose from so it's hard to which dehumidifier will fit the bill. There seem to be a vast array of products at hugely varied prices. I don't want to spend out a large amount unnecessarily (who wants to spend a fortune on something as dull as this?!) but obviously want something good enough to do the job. 

It's in a modest sized room (approx. 3.5m x 3.5m), and it's not a room that has a problem with damp. It's north facing though and always pretty cool in there, and I have noticed the humidity reading is often high in there. Of course, once the heating goes on, it's a different matter . . .

I have read that all dehumidifiers make a sound, some worse than others. Obviously I would like it as quiet as possible, but those of you who already have them, can you often get away with controlling the humidity by leaving it switched on when you are not in the room, then turning it off when you go in to play?

Any information or recommendations would be very helpful.

Many thanks

#2 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 28 August 2021 - 20:11

I have an internal humidity controller installed inside my upright. Like yours, it's a north-facing room with fluctuating temperature and humidity. Before the system was installed, the piano was going out of tune within weeks; now it's a very happy instrument and goes for at least six months.

The system was about £300, and fitted by my piano tuner. I can seriously recommend it and it has saved me a small fortune in tuning fees. All I need to do it top it up with water now and then.

Piano Life Saver

https://www.pianolif...s/uprightsystem

#3 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:10

I have an internal humidity controller installed inside my upright. Like yours, it's a north-facing room with fluctuating temperature and humidity. Before the system was installed, the piano was going out of tune within weeks; now it's a very happy instrument and goes for at least six months.

The system was about £300, and fitted by my piano tuner. I can seriously recommend it and it has saved me a small fortune in tuning fees. All I need to do it top it up with water now and then.

Piano Life Saver

https://www.pianolif...s/uprightsystem

Thanks very much for this, I'd heard of the Piano Life Saver and it's great to hear that it has made such a big difference to you. I currently have a 1920s Rogers upright, but am currently toying with the idea of the ultimate indulgence and buying a grand, for various reasons, and am in the process of touring piano shops. That said, I am still really fond of the piano I have so will only make the change if I find something I like enough that I know I won't regret parting with the Rogers. 

If I stick with the Rogers, installing the piano life saver looks like it could be the ideal option, given that it would be hidden from view that way, but I think I'd rather go for an external humidifier if I buy a grand. 

#4 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4584 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:54

If you do decide on a grand piano/external unit you might consider something from AEG. We have a Chillflex Pro aircon/dehumidifier unit - our problem was more temperature fluctuation than humidity. We needed a biggish unit as the room is double height but it's still very quiet. Eg. It doesn't interfere with online teaching.

#5 Grotrian

Grotrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 900774

Posted 31 August 2021 - 16:27

I can second the lifesaver (Dampp-Chaser) system. I had one installed for my grand and its definitely made a difference to tuning stability even if I routinely tune twice a year anyway. It does make a difference to how the piano sounds and how much more enjoyable it is to play!

#6 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 18:51

I can second the lifesaver (Dampp-Chaser) system. I had one installed for my grand and its definitely made a difference to tuning stability even if I routinely tune twice a year anyway. It does make a difference to how the piano sounds and how much more enjoyable it is to play!

It is visually very obvious when the piano is open?

#7 Grotrian

Grotrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 900774

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:28

There's nothing to see above the piano. All the installation is under the piano itself. The dehumidifier rods and humidistat (control unit) can be mounted between the wooden bracing beams of the frame so they are you'd have to be lying under the piano to see it. The humidifier reservoir though can usually be seen under the piano more easily.

Here are some pictures which illustrate the reservoir unit.

http://welltemperedt...ser/basics.html

#8 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 13:01

There's nothing to see above the piano. All the installation is under the piano itself. The dehumidifier rods and humidistat (control unit) can be mounted between the wooden bracing beams of the frame so they are you'd have to be lying under the piano to see it. The humidifier reservoir though can usually be seen under the piano more easily.

Here are some pictures which illustrate the reservoir unit.

http://welltemperedt...ser/basics.html

Thanks, that's really helpful.

#9 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:07

I don't have anything piano specific, but I do have a regular dehumidifier to use in multiple rooms. Meaco 12l from John Lewis. Might not be what you're after as it is quite noisy when it's running.