Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:45

I am listening to it again.   If anyone who watches the video, do you notice one of the clarinet female players who keeps leaning forward to read her score?   Also when other instruments are playing she is seen to be fiddling with her instrument holding it up to her face lol

Actually what annoyed me most was her state of undress. Now I am probably putting my big foot in it but I cannot understand why some women simply have to undress to play. I have yet to see a male musician disalying his hairy chest, his bare back or his armpits. When women players, including soloists do this I generally turn the video off. I just think it's bad taste and sometimes bordering on exhibitionism. :hides:

I went back to study this person ... first, I think she's possibly blind in one eye, or has severe sight problems (she reminds me of my ex-father-in-law, who is also blind in one eye, and who holds things right up to his face to study them).  Second, I can't see that her dress is remotely immodest.  She's wearing a dress without straps, yes, but there are others present displaying far more than her.  Presumably you're not a fan of Yuja Wang, Khatia Buniatishvili, Valentina Lisitsa et al?

#33 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8690 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 05 August 2021 - 13:37

Well, I don't know what you mean by "presumably you're not a fan of". I don't confuse dress with playing. I just don't like watching instrumentalists who, as I see it "undress" to play. I am quite happy to listen to them as long as i can avoid looking at them. I am perfectly well aware that this is a personal opinion and i don't expect everyone else to share it. However, can I turn the question round ?  Would you be a fan of any male instrumentalist who chose to wear a more or less backless, and rather low fronted,  sleeveless shirt? I might even like rather like that - in a pantomime - particularly if it were black and glittery!

#34 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 05 August 2021 - 14:48

Well, I don't know what you mean by "presumably you're not a fan of". I don't confuse dress with playing. I just don't like watching instrumentalists who, as I see it "undress" to play. I am quite happy to listen to them as long as i can avoid looking at them. I am perfectly well aware that this is a personal opinion and i don't expect everyone else to share it. However, can I turn the question round ?  Would you be a fan of any male instrumentalist who chose to wear a more or less backless, and rather low fronted,  sleeveless shirt? I might even like rather like that - in a pantomime - particularly if it were black and glittery!

I suppose I'm a bit confused by your suggestion that the short-sighted clarinettist was "undressed" - she was showing no cleavage, no bare midriff, and in fact seemed to be quite modestly attired compared to some of her colleagues.

As for whether I'd be a fan of a male instrumentalist who wore something other than the traditional black tie - candidly I don't care in the slightest what people wear to play music.  I want them to feel relaxed, happy, and free to express themselves.  Mostly I listen with my eyes closed anyway so their apparel is moot.

#35 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8690 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 05 August 2021 - 15:37

Bare shoulders is undressed in my book  (except on the beach or similar places) - obviously not in yours!  

#36 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:40

I'd forgotten about the constant repetition on ClassicFM of the mantra that classical music is for relaxation and soothing the nerves. Quite why they think their listeners are so stressed out escapes me. In any case, I don't find the Ride of the Valkyries or the opening of Carmina Burana (they never seem to play the rest) at all restful!

Goodness, yes! I was once driving a hire car and Classic FM was the only reasonable station I was able to tune to, so I listened. Every five minutes or so they'd say in a saccharine voice: Are you stressed out? Classic FM is here for you. Or something like that. After 20 minutes of this I was ready to yell "I wasn't stressed out before but I am now!". It was several years ago an I still haven't forgotten that.

#37 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4550 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:52

Isn’t everyone stressed out these days?  Anyway I often find the pieces uplifting as I drive to work. Admittedly my longest journey to work is about 15 minutes.

#38 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:24

Bare shoulders is undressed in my book  (except on the beach or similar places) - obviously not in yours!  

Fair enough!  I remember in the 1970s visiting Florence Cathedral with my mother, who was refused entry on account of her attire.  The fact that she was accompanied by the Suffragan Bishop of Aston didn't cut any ice at all!