#1 QFE

QFE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Member: 887532

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:34

Hi All,

looking for some thoughts as we approach ‘freedom day’ :-/ I direct my local choral society, which apart from a few outdoor singing for fun sessions has been silent since Covid. It’s going to come back in a very different form than previously in a few weeks. Which could be a good thing, but my main concern is my own health. 

I was one of the 3 million shielders as I have to take immuno suppressing medication. There has not been any particular advice other than to ‘be careful’, whatever that means. 

I’m unsure as to how to proceed, is this the end of my directing large choirs indoors? I know this is something I’m going to have to decide myself but I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position and what are you doing/planning to do over the coming weeks and months.

#2 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6953 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 14 July 2021 - 16:38

My large choir is going back to normal in Sept. We rehearse in a church. We make it about a quarter, or a third full.  Personally, I'm very much hoping that choir director spreads us out and uses whole church, with windows open.  I'm happy to sit in my coat come November.

My small choir is going to quite a small room (having to relocate).  This is not giving me warm feelings.  I feel very undecided about this. We saw this choir director at the weekend, and sang in the garden (which was nice).  He made it clear that it was our own responsibility for our health when term starts in Sept, but pointed out that he was on the receiving end of our breathing out!  

A very difficult decision QFE. I think I'd find the largest venue possible, with windows that open.

#3 QFE

QFE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Member: 887532

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:39

My large choir is going back to normal in Sept. We rehearse in a church. We make it about a quarter, or a third full.  Personally, I'm very much hoping that choir director spreads us out and uses whole church, with windows open.  I'm happy to sit in my coat come November.

My small choir is going to quite a small room (having to relocate).  This is not giving me warm feelings.  I feel very undecided about this. We saw this choir director at the weekend, and sang in the garden (which was nice).  He made it clear that it was our own responsibility for our health when term starts in Sept, but pointed out that he was on the receiving end of our breathing out!  

A very difficult decision QFE. I think I'd find the largest venue possible, with windows that open.

Yes, I think you’re right about singing in the largest venue possible with windows open. I think ‘freedom day’ will be short lived, frankly. Small groups of singers is going to be the pattern from now on.

#4 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 15 July 2021 - 19:15

My chorus are planning to rehearse outside for as long as possible (we don't stop for the summer). We've only just started live rehearsals and we use a small field/huge garden belonging to one of our members. When we do eventually go inside we've changed to a much larger venue and we're going to have very strict rules about everything. We are concerned that our two directors should feel comfortable, as we're all singing in their direction. We may buy a plastic screen to put them behind once we go inside. We've bought voice amplifiers for them so that we can really space out and still be able to hear what they're saying without them having to shout. No loud singing is permitted! We've done a massive risk assessment and produced a document that all members must sign of they want to come to live rehearsals. It details all the arrangements we've put in place. Ultimately we want everyone to feel that it's safe enough to come, especially our directors.