12 replies to this topic

#1 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:51

I'm taking my piano and singing exams in 2 weeks! From my experience last time, when I was sitting in the waiting room, I was surrounded by kids and their parents. I was the only grown up person waiting on my own. When I entered the exam room, the examiner looked at me for a second which I guess he was thinking, oh it's an adult. I know there are lots of adults doing exams but would be interesting to hear how you feel about that, or if you feel anything at all?

#2 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:06

I get the impression that the examiners rather like the adults. As a grown-up candidate I have always found examiners far more human than I did when I was a child.

#3 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6916 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:11

I did a Practical Musicianship exam a few years ago and I could really feel the examiner concentrating on what he was doing - given that it isn't a particularly popular exam he had to keep his mind on the job perhaps more than the standard scales and pieces type of exam.  He was very nice and even gave me an opportunity for another go at a bit that I'd obviously got wrong (not that it did me much good because I still didn't get the answer - but happily I did pass the exam.)

#4 cho10

cho10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Member: 887964
  • milan, Italy

Posted 04 June 2021 - 15:23

Don't worry. Lots of adults sit for ABRSM exams. it's the spring ones that mainly attract kids. I am past 70 and I just stare back at the fools that seem overly concerned or curious. It should only be my (or your) business.
Full stop. Good luck !!!

#5 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 June 2021 - 18:07

#6 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6317 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 04 June 2021 - 20:04

I never found it an issue when taking exams. The stewards and examiner were well aware I was an adult before I turned up. 

#7 mature clarinetist

mature clarinetist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 899784
  • UK

Posted 05 June 2021 - 07:31

All my mature adult practical exams have been taken at private visits where I have been the only adult at the session. I have found the parents interested that I was choosing to take the exam. The examiners have always been very friendly and supportive. For my grade 8 clarinet the examiner wrote a personal message congratulating me for my merit on the exam script. My teacher who is also an examiner for Abrsm said that it was quite unusual.

#8 wendym

wendym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Member: 899027

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:32

I've done no fewer than five practical exams as an adult and am looking forward to my piano diploma in July.  I've never felt odd going into the room as an adult, have always had a positive experience, and in fact numerous examiners have told me what a pleasure it is to see adults following their musical dreams too, not just the children.  And as I fully intend to get to grade 8 cello and beyond, being an adult is not going to stop me getting back into that exam room time and time again (currently preparing grade 5)   

Why should the kids have all the fun  :lol:

#9 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:31

kevin1981 - we did both instrument grades - Mr Z piano and I did recorder - and we did Grade 1 Theory. We sat Grade 1 with lots of very very young children. Afterwards the main invigilator apologised to us for not having space with the adults in a higher grade but we assured him that we'd had a very nice time and it was fun watching kids do their very first exam while we we had lost count of how many exams we'd taken! He remembered us when I did my recorder Grade 1 and after I returned from the cloakroom where they'd put me to 'warm up' he commented very favourably on my playing - he said he didn't usually hear Grade 1 recorder playing quite like that and it made me feel a lot more confident. They were kind and fun at the exam centre and honestly I didn't feel that I should have done it all 60 years earlier! I really enjoyed both exams; and I still use exam pieces as a goal. I wish you all the best and I really hope you have a positive, useful and above all fun experience! Good luck!

PS I agree whole heartedly with wendym - fun is not just for kids!

#10 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6796 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:55

PS I agree whole heartedly with wendym - fun is not just for kids!

I agree whole-heartedly too. It seems to me there is ample opportunity for kids these days, and often too many activities on offer for them to give to their music the time it deserves. But all too often, parents who brought kids to me for lessons would say "I wish I had had the chance at their age - it's too late now." That - and the fact that I enjoy teaching adults more, mostly because they are doing it for themselves - are what made me decide to switch to teaching adults only, and "semi-retire". I think it is very rarely "too late" (unless your joints are all knotted up due to something like arthritis thus meaning that you can't play any more, and even then it doesn't stop you enjoying music). One of the youngsters I very happily offloaded was being forced to have piano lessons. When I stopped teaching youngsters, he told mum and dad (yet again) that he didn't want to go to another piano teacher. Their response was that he had to. With pupils like that no longer on my books, there is less stress surrounding teaching now, and so I enjoy it more.

Sorry - that was :offTopic:

#11 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Member: 899767

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:44

I vividly remember when I took my grade 3 exam in 2019 that I was very scared of my examiner (who seemed very serious).

Once I finished the exam, he "came out of character" and started smiling, we had a nice conversation and he said "it's great to see a fellow adult taking piano music exams".

#12 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4554 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 20 June 2021 - 15:48

Not music - but a friend took her grade 3 ballet with a bunch of youngsters - feeling somewhat self conscious.  She'd decided (having been denied following her dream as a kid) she wasn't going to allow that slight awkward feeling to stop her.  She said the examiner was very professional and didn't make her feel she didn't belong.  Overall she said she was really glad that she went for it and it's given her the confidence to keep going.

#13 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:24

I think it's good for children to see adults taking the same exams as themselves. Gives them the message that they'll never be too old to learn new things and that they shouldn't let anyone stop them doing so.