#1 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:48

Just wondering if anyone plays this, and if so, what to you do by way of pedalling?

I only started it as I had the book for a birthday present and thought I'd have a go as it would be a good exercise for the LH. I've got further with it than I expected, but have no idea what to do with the pedal. Putting it on makes it too blurry, not at all makes it sound a bit sparse. I am nowhere near the speed a professional would play it, and that would make a difference to the overall sound of course, but since I've got a lot further with it than I expected, it would be nice to see if I could add this little bit extra.

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18825 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:59

Just wondering if anyone plays this, and if so, what to you do by way of pedalling?

I only started it as I had the book for a birthday present and thought I'd have a go as it would be a good exercise for the LH. I've got further with it than I expected, but have no idea what to do with the pedal. Putting it on makes it too blurry, not at all makes it sound a bit sparse. I am nowhere near the speed a professional would play it, and that would make a difference to the overall sound of course, but since I've got a lot further with it than I expected, it would be nice to see if I could add this little bit extra.

I dont know that one, may look at it later today.

#3 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:20

I didn't know the piece so went off to YouTube.  Here is a version played by Kissin with the score, which shows the pedalling.  I suspect that the blurriness might be caused by the speed difference (unless you are also playing at this breakneck pace, in which case KUDOS to you!)

#4 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:41

Thank you Edwardo! Yes, a sort of compromise pedalling, which works well. I will try that! And, no, I'm not quite up to Kissin's tempo - safe to say a couple of snails wandering across the keyboard could give me a run for my money!!  :)

F#m - let me know how you get on! I hope you enjoy it!

#5 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:21

I do the pedalling as shown in Kissin's score, with a few extra dabs here and there.  Fortunately this piece also sounds beautiful at a much slower pace than Kissin's!

#6 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 30 April 2021 - 15:25

I played this quite a lot when I was younger - hands aren't up to it now I'm afraid. Sounds nice with minimal pedalling if you can manage leggieramente to your satisfaction. I could never really master the later bars (28-31) to any degree of my satisfaction to be honest.... and as per usual with me, it was probably because I didn't do enough practice.

#7 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:39

This thread prompted me to have a fresh look at the preludes - not opened the book for some years. It was nice to revisit the B minor, E minor, C minor and G minor preludes (the latter being somewhat untidy to be honest) and the D flat and A flat major. The A flat (my favourite) is a very beautiful piece but quite tricky in places. I always play the chords in both hands as written - does anyone play them so they do not overlap ??

#8 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 09:56

Do you play the first Prelude, in C? It's obviously too hard for me, but I ask because I literally have no idea, looking at it, which hand would play which note! There's pieces out there that are much harder, but which in principle I would know how to play. But I look at this Prelude and I do not have a clue! How do you play it?

#9 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:38

Do you play the first Prelude, in C? It's obviously too hard for me, but I ask because I literally have no idea, looking at it, which hand would play which note! There's pieces out there that are much harder, but which in principle I would know how to play. But I look at this Prelude and I do not have a clue! How do you play it?

Hi Ellie. No I don't play the C major - if I remember correctly doesn't the LH just play the first bass-clef triplet of each bar, and the RH does all the hard work? I have ponderously been through it quite a few times, but (sigh) no joy in getting it to flow. The notes in my Associated Board edition say : "Bring out the inner melody (thumbs throughout) and do not neglect the accentuation of the 1st beat in the LH. In bars 18, 19, 20, 23, 25, 26 the melody begins on the first beat". Those bars are where the quintuplets appear - all out of my comfort zone unfortunately.... :(

#10 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:23

Thank you! Yes, that makes sense. I'm really glad I know in theory how to play it now ...  :)

I have the CD of Ivo Pogorelich playing it. It goes so fast I don't actually detect that inner melody though. So I could have fun with it playing it really slowly and getting that melody out a bit, even if the rest of my efforts are completely rubbish.

#11 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 28 May 2021 - 14:05

I quite like the other A flat Prelude B36 (not in Op 28) but my favourite -- which I've never been able to play to my satisfaction -- is the E flat one, no 19

For the C major Prelude it may help to practise the right hand in two moves for each bar -- a solid chord consisting of the first 4 notes of each bar followed by the concluding octave.  Some of the chords in the middle section are a bit of a stretch.  Then try the same thing with the LH triplets added, landing the RH chord with the second LH note, (or the first one in bar 18 etc.) 

This Prelude looks more complicated than it is but it does need a large enough hand to play it easily.  As with no 3 it will still sound beautiful even if you can only crawl through it!