#1 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 07 January 2021 - 22:48

I have spent some lockdown time making arrangements for solo ukulele. Most of the originals are old and I'm considering making them freely available, but wonder what the position is for more modern music which is still in copyright. Since I started playing I've benefitted a lot from free arrangements that other people have posted, but how legal it is given that much of the music is 20th century? I'd like to add my versions to the pool as a kind of 'thank you' but have no wish to break the law.

I'm curious too about the many popular song sheets I download, with lyrics and chords, that I use with the old folk at their social club (not now, obviously).

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 January 2021 - 11:54

You need to ask the copyright holder's permission. They may be registered with PRS or or you may have to approach them directly. pRS may happily take your money even if they don't act for the competitor holder, so watch out! There may be a fee to pay.

#3 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:58

Yes, that is my understanding too. The church that runs the old folk's club is registered with the PRS but of course many of the copyright holders aren't registered. I wonder what all the ukulele groups do that (used to) meet regularly, with their 'own' song collections. :blink: