4 replies to this topic

#1 nigelhammondmusic

nigelhammondmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899954

Posted 27 December 2020 - 19:22

I have just completed the new 2020 grade 1 workbook to make sure I am fully up to speed with it before marking my students.  I really like the new layout and the answer book - much more user friendly than before.  They remind me more of modern GCSE revision books.  The only issue I have is what I think are two mistakes in the answer book.  Can anyone tell me if these are mistakes or am I doing something daft?

Part 9, exercise 3,c asks to complete the missing note in tonic triad of G Major.  It looks like the person who gave the model answer forget they were working in the bass clef.  The model answer shows BDF# in the bass clef!  (If this was treble clef then the model answer would look correct - as in GBD.

Part 10, exercise 4 - The multi-choice question asks if 'fine' means: 'in time', 'repeat from the beginning', 'smoothly' or 'the end'.  I naturally ticked 'the end' but the model answer ticked 'repeat from the beginning' 

Can anyone confirm if I am correct picking these up as mistakes? or maybe I am being daft somehow and misreading/misunderstanding questions or answers?

Thanks

Nigel

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1764 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:27

I don't have a copy of the workbook, but from your descriptions I would say that you are correct on both counts - bloopers, not answers :rolleyes: - probably arising from making a last-minute change to the questions but forgetting to change the answers to match.

#3 nigelhammondmusic

nigelhammondmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 17:19

Thanks Hildegard. I am glad that I appear to be thinking on the right lines.  I have moved on to the grade 2 work book today and have found a similar situation!  One of the first exercises in the book is to spell out words by correctly identifying the notes on the stave.  Part 1, exercise 2b has three notes which spell 'BAG' but the answer book has six notes spelling BAGGED!  Your suggestion of bloopers from last minute changes to questions and forgetting to up date the answer (or visa versa) could explain this one too.  

I must emphasis that so far I think these books are great and the best layout and helpful content so far.  I am enjoying doing them.  Quite a relaxing thing to do over Christmas :-)

#4 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1764 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:22

It sounds like the normal checking and proofing procedures may have been compromised by the pandemic.

#5 nigelhammondmusic

nigelhammondmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 21:55

How sad am I.  I have just completed the grade 2 book and practice paper that it contains on New Years eve.  I know how to party!!  Anyway just for the record in case any ABRSM publishing people pick up on this in the future, I am pretty certain there is a mistake in the practice paper at the back of the grade 2 book.  Question 3.7 asks to tick two boxes on a scale to show two pairs of notes in the scale which are semi tones apart.  I am convinced they have ticked the wrong ones in the answer book - intervals of a tone apart rather than semitones.  I think I might give it a rest now until 2021! and start the grade 3 book.  Happy to be a quality checker for ABRSM if they would like to pay me!