Aeolienne

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2325 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 18 July 2021 - 22:01

Does anyone here remember the scare surrounding the whooping-cough [pertussis] vaccine in the 1970s? I didn't get the full course of vaccination, supposedly because of the scare, and caught the disease aged 4. My older and younger brothers (19 months age difference on either side) were fully vaccinated AFAIK. I wouldn't want to ask my parents in so many words why I was allowed to get whooping-cough as it sounds like an accusation, although I can't help wondering how it happened. Was the vaccine temporarily withdrawn pending investigations, or was the decision not to vaccinate entirely my parents'? Not typical of their attitude towards vaccination I would say.

#1262 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4471 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 19 July 2021 - 05:36

When my first two children were babies in the early 80s there was a worry about the whooping cough vaccination as it was said some children had convulsions and brain damage after it . I still let my two have it. By the time of my third child in the early 90s, the vaccine had been changed and no one seemed to worry however despite being vaccinated my youngest son caught whooping cough and was quite poorly but the other two who had the first sort of vaccine didn’t catch it from him. 

#1263 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:22

Does anyone here remember the scare surrounding the whooping-cough [pertussis] vaccine in the 1970s? I didn't get the full course of vaccination, supposedly because of the scare, and caught the disease aged 4. My older and younger brothers (19 months age difference on either side) were fully vaccinated AFAIK. I wouldn't want to ask my parents in so many words why I was allowed to get whooping-cough as it sounds like an accusation, although I can't help wondering how it happened. Was the vaccine temporarily withdrawn pending investigations, or was the decision not to vaccinate entirely my parents'? Not typical of their attitude towards vaccination I would say.

The vaccine wasn't withdrawn. A study by a small group of doctors suggested that there might be a link between the vaccine and brain damage, and the publicity resulted in many parents declining to have their children vaccinated. This in turn resulted in at least 200,000 extra cases of whooping cough and 100 deaths from the infection over the next few years. The suggestion of a link with brain damage was not confirmed in a follow-up study that used data from the original study nor in subsequent investigations. Take-up of the vaccine improved in 1980 and subsequent years, following extensive publicity by the NHS that the original scare story was unfounded.

#1264 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4471 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:50

The make up of the vaccine was changed in the early 2000s from whole cell to acellular . Just looked this up. So my third son catching whooping cough was not because the vaccine was different.

#1265 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7171 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:08

I wonder if that's what happened with my boss- he caught whooping cough a few years back (so at a fairly advanced age for whooping cough) and he's about the right age to have been not-vaccinated as part of the scare. 

#1266 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:33

It often seems that scare stories about vaccines do more harm than the vaccine itself ever could. I dare say many of us remember Andrew Wakefield, who published a fraudulent article in The Lancet claiming that the MMR vaccine causes autism and bowel disorders. The GMC found that Wakefield had invented his claims in order to promote a rival product. He eventually admitted fabricating evidence and was struck off the UK medical register as a result, but not before his bad-mouthing of the vaccine had put off many parents from having their children immunised.

#1267 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:47

Well, today is so called "Freedom Day" in England, or "Scary Day Where Some People Behave Like Complete Idiots", depending on your perspective. As the new rules are as clear as mud, I have, in my new capacity as Minister For Communication In Doggerel, put together the following verse which I trust makes the government's position clear to everyone. (For those that wouldn't know, Budgens is a chain of small, local and usually very quiet supermarkets.)

England's Coronavirus Rules from 19 July 2021. In Verse.

We hereby set out all the rules

For Covid in the workplace, home and schools,
And on the bus, and in the club,
On a park bench, and down the pub.

Please take a test before you meet
Up in a care home, but not the street.
Though take a test if your area faces
An unprecedented amount of Covid cases.

Your face must be covered on a London bus,
And trains into Wales, if you want no fuss.
A heaving nightclub may have no restrictions,
But it's still polite to mask up in Budgens.

School children have no need to bubble,
(the absences were too much trouble).
While offices may open still, 
Please work from home! We hope you will!

A country that's green may soon instead
Turn into amber, or become red.
Get home quick, you'll still be fine, 
Or it's ten long days in quarantine.

Crowded pubs may open indoors.
Drink up all! The night is yours!
Two metre rule? That won't be missed.
Hard to judge it anyway, when you're ....

We hope these rules are nice and clear,
To keep England safe for another year.*

*(Or a couple of weeks, when we reserve the right to change everything around again as we realise what a load of old codswallop this all is.)

#1268 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:26

Love it! :clap: Take care, stay safe, if you want.... whatever...

#1269 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:07

I wonder if that's what happened with my boss- he caught whooping cough a few years back (so at a fairly advanced age for whooping cough) and he's about the right age to have been not-vaccinated as part of the scare.

You can get the vaccine/a booster shot as an adult. Worth doing IMO.

#1270 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7171 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:08

You can get the vaccine/a booster shot as an adult. Worth doing IMO.

Good to know! I've had mine, I grew up in Asia and I don't remember this flap happening over there.

#1271 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1754 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 19 July 2021 - 15:59

They've been doing some telly adverts here encouraging adults to get it.

Edit spelling

#1272 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15108 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 19 July 2021 - 20:34

A slight tangent - but I've had whooping cough three times, which I know isn't supposed to be possible - once, mildly, as a young child following the vaccination - once as a teenager and then again in mid-late 20s.   I was very poorly with a chest infection and was off work when the doctor came to visit my gran about something.   I coughed while he was there - he looked sternly at me and said, 'You do realise you have whooping cough, don't you?'

I've had severe chest infections ever since and a fairly permanent (although far from continuous) cough.

:(