#32 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted Yesterday, 08:42

Thank you SingingPython.  You must have been right - I just got my results through - a distinction, with lots of mention of stylishly shaped phrasing, apt dynamic palette and fine rhythmic control. Seems like I mentally slept through the best performance of my life, but nice to know all the good stuff kicked in automatically. Back to the practice room, more inspired than ever to keeping making a gorgeous sound and working at all the tiny details  :)   I really do love my cello!!   :wub:  

Well done, delighted for you! Just really sorry you weren't around to enjoy your performance!! :)

#33 wendym

wendym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 899027

Posted Yesterday, 09:43

Thank you Ellie D.  Thinking perhaps too much of a mental presence whilst performing may be what interferes in the first place.  How to strike a comfortable balance!

#34 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Member: 899767

Posted Yesterday, 22:06

For my Grade 6 I have done the Kuhlau Sonatina, Little Ballerina, Serenade sur l'eau and my own choice was Chopin's Waltz in F minor.

I am not sure about the Grade 7 yet. It is highly likely though that I will be doing the Scarlatti Sonata in E and Schumann's No 12 from Kinderszenen. I am not quite sure about C section as I don't LOVE any of them all that much, but like enough a couple to learn. For my own choice, I will likely be choosing something I really love like I did for my Grade 6, perhaps some Chopin again. Will have time to think about this for a few months as I don't plan to learn any of the repertoire, but further solidify my foundation and expand my repertoire.

That looks like a solid repertoire by your wife. I love the Mazurka and will likely learn it myself and currently trying to finish off the Mozart Sonata in Eb from the new G6 curriculum because it sounds really nice and I need to play more classical as it is my weak point.

I think the Debussy piece is solid on the G8 syllabus, how come you're not wanting her to spend time on piece like that? Or maybe I misunderstood.

It's good to see you again, thara96 and peterhontaru.

Peter, which pieces did you choose for your Grade 6?  Have you chosen your Grade 7 pieces yet?

My wife will be doing her Grade 6 next year with pieces off the new syllabus.  She's skipping Grade 5, but I'm still making her do the Grade 5 scales (new syllabus).  And I'm going to have her play loads and loads of repertoire before then, including (hopefully) most of Bach's Two Part Inventions.

My wife's tentative Grade 6 programme is as follows:

• C. P. E. Bach - Solfeggietto in C minor, Wq. 117/2 (own choice)
  • Scarlatti - Sonata in A, Kp. 208, L. 238
  • Chopin - Mazurka in G minor, Op. 67 No. 2
  • Mier - Opening Night Jazz

I'm actually rather annoyed about the new Grade 6 syllabus.  They put the Debussy selection on the B list, and thus force the candidate to play a post-Impressionistic piece.  My wife and I went through the pieces on the C list and decided that the Mier selection was the least wasteful of her time.  Hopefully there will be a nice Debussy selection on the C list when she does Grade 8 - I do not want her spending time on a post-Impressionistic Grade 8 piece.

I received an e-mail from ABRSM yesterday telling me to go ahead and set up an account on their new system, which I did.  Registration for the remotely assessed performance exams opens on December 1st here in the Republic of Texas.  I plan on picking the earliest available exam date and uploading my ARSM and her Grade 4 exam recordings immediately.