#1 cruiser

cruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 899786
  • Dorset

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:09

Hi everyone. In preparation for my grade 6 trombone practical exam, I need to get grade 5 theory under my belt. In this regard, I'm have trouble disciplining myself to systematically study - and memorise! -  the required material. I'm using Victoria's study material (mymusictheory.com) as well as the AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Taylor). Can anyone help, please?

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18255 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:52

There is already a thread running called Grade 5 Theory, why start another ?

#3 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41800 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 12 September 2020 - 13:46

That thread is in the teachers area, and is not likely to have been spotted by cruiser - in any case, that thread is about the problems with the online ABRSM exam. Cruiser is also quite new, so needs time to work out the ins and outs of the forum.

In answer to the OP - go one topic at a time - I think I’d start with the scale/key signature stuff first (good old circle of 5ths!) and build from there.

#4 cruiser

cruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 899786
  • Dorset

Posted 12 September 2020 - 15:35

f#minor - I couldn't find the thread you refer to but I understand and share your frustration over duplicated - at least! - thread topics. In future I will make every effort to find an existing and related thread before starting a new one of my own. My best to you, sir.

That thread is in the teachers area, and is not likely to have been spotted by cruiser - in any case, that thread is about the problems with the online ABRSM exam. Cruiser is also quite new, so needs time to work out the ins and outs of the forum.

In answer to the OP - go one topic at a time - I think I’d start with the scale/key signature stuff first (good old circle of 5ths!) and build from there.

barry-clari, thank you so much for your understanding and for your helpful suggestion, which certainly gives my 69 year-old braincells something to get to grips with. I will, as you suggest, start with the scales/key signature stuff whilst simultaneously learning some foreign terms.

#5 mature clarinetist

mature clarinetist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 899784
  • UK

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:31

I used "Pass Grade 5 Theory" by Dorothy Dingle to revisit my 1979 theory pass in order to take Grade 6 clarinet in 2016. It is aimed at adults and assumes no previous knowledge. It is a text and work book in one with hints and tips. There is a separate answer book so you can check your answers if working alone. A friend has also used it and passed the exam.

When I googled it many music and book shops have it.

#6 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1941 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:51

It took me a long time too, get to grips with grade 5 music theory. Working on my own and never knowing if I was on the right track. eventually I came across a book called "Take 5 and pass first time" which made it all clear and simple for me.

Whatever you use .....just keep at it, eventually it will come clear.

best wishes

Clarimoo.

#7 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:31

I used "Pass Grade 5 Theory" by Dorothy Dingle to revisit my 1979 theory pass in order to take Grade 6 clarinet in 2016. It is aimed at adults and assumes no previous knowledge. It is a text and work book in one with hints and tips. There is a separate answer book so you can check your answers if working alone. A friend has also used it and passed the exam.

When I googled it many music and book shops have it.

I also used this book after trying to work through the ABRSM workbooks, which I didn't find as helpful. The advantage of Dorothy Dingle's book (for me) was that it's structured  by topic instead of grade-by-grade. It seemed to help my understanding better. I think theory is mostly (with some exceptions) about understanding the key principles behind each concept. I think learning concepts topically, instead of being introduced them gradually, made theory more accessible and interesting to me. For example, once you get the hang of the Circle of Fifths, you can work out all the key signatures and related keys etc. When I tried learning all the keys grade-by-grade, they were introduced gradually and I felt like the only way to learn was by rote, as the concept of learning new keys wasn't introduced on the founding principle of the Circle of Fifths. 

#8 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 898726
  • Glasgow

Posted 15 September 2020 - 22:51

Thanks for starting this conversation cruiser! :-) I am also hoping to be ready to take the Grade 5 theory exam in November this year. I've used the ABRSM workbooks and Sharon Bill's channel on Youtube which has been unbelievably helpful.  I will have look for the books mentioned above as any help is most welcome!  Theory does not come naturally to me, and although the penny finally seems to have dropped in some areas such as intervals, and I now have a system for writing out the circle of fifths (not using a circle!), I forget things quickly after any sort of break in study, so will return to it often before the exam to refresh my memory.  I used to be ok at learning languages but find the performance terms difficult to remember. :unsure: