#1 JRsDrummer

JRsDrummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 88252

Posted 23 July 2020 - 23:16

Hello,

I looking to buy a soft cello case that will afford my cello maximum protection. Ideally I would continue to use a carbon fibre case, but my new home is very small and I want to be able to store the case in a cupboard when not in use.

I thought these cases looked good (prices as on Thomann website):

Ritter RSS7 Cello MGB - £127
Jakob Winter JWC 2790 - £104
Gewa Cello Pure Gig Bag CS 25 - £121
Gewa Prestige Rolly Cello Bag - £148
Soundwear 3144 Performer - £395

The Soundwear model is particularly expensive so I would rather avoid this if another would do just as well.

Has anyone any experience of these or other soft case models that they would recommend to protect a cello (that probably ought to be in a hard case!) really well?

Many thanks in advance for your help. :)

#2 JoannaB

JoannaB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Member: 28767
  • SW London

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:12

I don't have any experience of these cases but a friend uses a Will and Tom case for her very expensive cello sometimes and is very happy with it.

#3 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:45

My husband uses an unnamed soft case with 25mm (1 inch) padding very similar to the Gewa ones but without the wheels and finds it very good. He feels it actually offers more protection against small knocks as the padding absorbs shocks and vibration - if it falls over in a soft case the soundpost is much less likely to drop than in a hard case. It is also lighter and more easily manoeuvred on the bus or train. It won't of course stand up to being crushed in a car accident.

#4 JRsDrummer

JRsDrummer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 88252

Posted 30 July 2020 - 16:45

Thank you both for your help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cello, case, soft case, recommendations