Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:07

Hi all, how are you all doing ? Looks like this forum has gone quiet as the Disruption to exams Continues.

Are people looking to alternatives ? Continuing onto the next grade without ?

I felt that I was becoming stale having been ready to sit G7 piano in the spring so I bit the bullet and entered with another board, just to ‘get it done’ really. I achieved a merit and now feel happy to move on, I’m enjoying learning new Chopin and Satie pieces and generally feeling more relaxed without the uncertainty of exam dates.
just wondering how everyone else is fairing, stay safe x

#2 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1567 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:25

Congratulations Tezes! Which board did you go with?

#3 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 05 July 2020 - 19:06

Hi dorfmouse
Thanks
I scoured the different ones and went with LCM as I felt they were the ‘nearest’ to what I had already prepared and they accept Exam pieces from any board. How you getting on ? X

#4 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1567 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2020 - 20:03

Fine thank you! I am very lucky to live in a region with very little risk and where the journey back to some sort of normality is being managed in a fairly sane way.

I was looking at the LCM exam offerings a few days ago, just out of interest as they are not available here, and was very impressed with the choice of pathways. Seem well thought out and not just cobbled together.
Have a soft spot for that Uni as when I got back to playing after studying I went to group piano classes in their Ealing campus which were very good.

#5 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 05 July 2020 - 21:16

I agree they are very organised and accessible. Their online recorded exams are open to everyone so should be available in all countries ? I was impressed by how they have adapted so quickly to provide alternatives to exams and my entry was assessed by an extremely well qualified pianist and music critic/analyst. All in all a good experience x

#6 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:42

I was planning to take G7 singing and G4 piano this summer, so I 'm getting a bit fed up with my pieces and just fancy moving on, to be honest! But I would like to be examined on them one way or another as I have put a lot of work into them. Because I have previously taken Grade 5 in singing, and thus done the supporting tests, my teacher is happy for me to submit my piano pieces for the new remote performance exam. My scales & arpeggios are ok also and I've used this additional time to learn all of them (even if you don't need them all for the new G5). However she is keen that I'd take my G7 singing the traditional way as I haven't done the supporting tests at that level. We shall see, as there might be restrictions with singing even if live examinations will otherwise resume as planned this autumn. 

#7 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 13 July 2020 - 16:49

hennylemon

As far as I’m aware the AB will be offering a recorded performance exam sometime in August, it will consist of 4 pieces only Played in one take, no tech exercises or aural/sightreading etc.

I opted for the LCM recorded exam as its available now and includes the Scales lists etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide

#8 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1506 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2020 - 18:18

Congratulations on your exam result!

#9 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 13 July 2020 - 19:11

Ligneo Fistula - Thank you I’m thrilled

#10 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:19

hennylemon

As far as I’m aware the AB will be offering a recorded performance exam sometime in August, it will consist of 4 pieces only Played in one take, no tech exercises or aural/sightreading etc.

I opted for the LCM recorded exam as its available now and includes the Scales lists etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Ah, yes, I'm planning to do my piano exam using the new recorded performance exam. How did you find your experience with that with LCM? I've had a go at recording myself play (only one piece at a time though) as a test and I don't know if it's just me but I find that I need to exaggerate the dynamics a lot for the camera. Or maybe I've just discovered that my dynamics aren't as obvious as I thought they were, both in person and on camera...

#11 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 14 July 2020 - 22:23

hennylemon

LCM make it easy to enter:

3 pieces from any Exam board recorded separately (I used the pieces I’d prepared from the AB pieces book)
Scales list in 1 take (Similar list to the AB)
A discussion section, basically answering 3 set questions on one of the pieces played.
So 5 recordings in total. They have a guide on YouTube re the entry requirements, size of files, format etc.

Record yourself and upload the files and it’s done !

I found the whole experience must less stressful than a face to face exam on a unknown piano and venue. Recording was fine I used my iPad, one of the pieces I filmed a second time because my hubby walked past me on the 1st video otherwise they were in one take each.
Hope that helps and good luck x

Ps AB require all 4 pieces to be on one continuous recording and each piece has to be at least 4 minutes long. I don’t know how that will work as the end file will be huge !