14 replies to this topic

#1 VincentN

VincentN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 899920

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:37

Hi, I am planning to take ARSM or DipABRSM at some point. For ARSM, I am planning to play:

1. J.S. Bach - Toccata in E minor, BWV 914 (~8 mins)
  2. Haydn - Andante with Variation in F minor (~9 mins)
  3. Brahms - Rhapsody in B minor (~9 mins)
  4. Chopin - Etude in F minor Op. 10, No. 9 (~2 mins)

One question I am having here, is that whether pieces from the LRSM list would be considered as own choice piece or not. If it does, then I will probably have to swap out the Brahms to the G minor one and then add something short (maybe 1st/3rd movement from Mozart K.311 or a movement or two from Beethoven Op.27 No.1). If it doesn't, I had planned to play the whole Beethoven's Sonata in E-flat 'Quasi una Fantasia' for both ARSM/DipABRSM until I have found out that it is no longer in the LRSM, or any diploma list. (I don't quite understand why it was removed from the list though.)

For DipABRSM, I still have the same question, I am not sure if the two pieces from LRSM list would be considered as own choice piece (for DipABRSM, only 7 mins of own choice pieces are allowed). If they are allowed:

1. J.S. Bach - Toccata in E minor, BWV 914 (~8 mins)
  3. Brahms - Rhapsody in B minor (~9 mins)
  4. Brahms - Intermezzo in A (~7 mins)
  5. Chopin - Etude in F minor Op. 10, No. 9 (~2 mins)

or

1. Haydn - Andante with Variation in F minor (~9 mins)
  2. Brahms - Rhapsody in B minor (~9 mins)
  3. Brahms - Rhapsody in G minor (~5 mins) or Fauré - Nocturne No. 1 in E flat minor (~8 mins)
  4. Brahms - Intermezzo in A (~6 mins)
  5. Chopin - Etude in F minor Op. 10, No. 9 (~2 mins)

However, if those are considered as own choice pieces, then:

1. Haydn - Andante with Variation in F minor (~9 mins)
  2. Mozart - Sonata in D, K.311 (~15 mins)
  3. Brahms - Rhapsody in G minor (~7 mins)
  4. Brahms - Intermezzo in A (~6 mins)

Yes, I don't like to play Bach or any baroque music on piano, though I am not quite sure how it would affect the overall reportoire for an exam without it.

One more question, how much would an unbalanced programme affect the overall mark?

Please feel free to make any suggestion on anything.

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18188 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:55

Well they do ask for a varied programme, though you can still do that without including Baroque.  I like your first programme. If you can play that B Minor Rhapsody well then I don't see you couldnt play it even though its much harder than DipA or ARCM level. I guess it would have to count as an 'own choice' piece, but are you allowed a 9 min pieces as own choice ?  The G minor one is shorter and less demanding anyway.  The Haydn you mention, do you mean the Variations in Fminor/Major Hob XVII / 6) ?

#3 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:06

Anything that isn't on the list for that diploma is counted as own choice, even if it is on a different diploma list. That would include playing a whole sonata if only one movement is listed. You will lose marks for not playing a varied programme, but that doesn't mean you have to play Baroque. The pieces have to be of the standard of that diploma (so probably no works listed for a different diploma) and you aren't allowed more than one piece by the same composer. I would recommend reading the diploma guidelines before drawing up a programme, as it tells you everything you need to know:

"Your programme should be largely drawn from the prescribed lists of instrumental and vocal works or movements given on pp. 34–95. You may, however, also include in your programme a work or works of your own choice not listed on these pages but comparable in standard and lasting no more than 7 minutes in total; prior approval from ABRSM is not required for any such alternative items. Please note that performing own-choice repertoire gives no advantage over candidates presenting syllabus-listed items only. In your choice of repertoire, you should aim to present a generalist programme that offers a wide-ranging yet coherent mixture of periods, style, mood and tempo, with no more than one work by any single composer (except for vocal items or where a combination of movements or pieces from a composer’s collection is indicated in the prescribed lists). You should be able to demonstrate musical technique and perception at a level worthy of public performance and appreciation."

#4 VincentN

VincentN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:29

Well they do ask for a varied programme, though you can still do that without including Baroque.  I like your first programme. If you can play that B Minor Rhapsody well then I don't see you couldnt play it even though its much harder than DipA or ARCM level. I guess it would have to count as an 'own choice' piece, but are you allowed a 9 min pieces as own choice ?  The G minor one is shorter and less demanding anyway.  The Haydn you mention, do you mean the Variations in Fminor/Major Hob XVII / 6) ?

I think in the ARSM we are allowed to have 10 mins of pieces which are Grade 8 or above. I learnt both Rhapsodies few years ago, and I could play both fairly well, but I feel more confident with the B minor one, as I feel it is more controllable under stress and with unfamiliar piano. Yes, that is the one I mean (Hob XVII/6).

Anything that isn't on the list for that diploma is counted as own choice, even if it is on a different diploma list. That would include playing a whole sonata if only one movement is listed. You will lose marks for not playing a varied programme, but that doesn't mean you have to play Baroque. The pieces have to be of the standard of that diploma (so probably no works listed for a different diploma) and you aren't allowed more than one piece by the same composer. I would recommend reading the diploma guidelines before drawing up a programme, as it tells you everything you need to know:

"Your programme should be largely drawn from the prescribed lists of instrumental and vocal works or movements given on pp. 34–95. You may, however, also include in your programme a work or works of your own choice not listed on these pages but comparable in standard and lasting no more than 7 minutes in total; prior approval from ABRSM is not required for any such alternative items. Please note that performing own-choice repertoire gives no advantage over candidates presenting syllabus-listed items only. In your choice of repertoire, you should aim to present a generalist programme that offers a wide-ranging yet coherent mixture of periods, style, mood and tempo, with no more than one work by any single composer (except for vocal items or where a combination of movements or pieces from a composer’s collection is indicated in the prescribed lists). You should be able to demonstrate musical technique and perception at a level worthy of public performance and appreciation."

That helps, for some reasons, I thought the one piece max per composer only implies to ARSM.

#5 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 16 June 2020 - 15:31

I like your first programme, but if you don't want to play Baroque then you don't have to. How about some 20th-C instead? Debussy or Gershwin, or an own choice.

Both my diplomas went up to the maximum limit in own choice pieces (I included an FRSM work from the harpsichord list in my LRSM). Don't worry about timing these to the second.

#6 VincentN

VincentN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:46

I have received confirmation from ABRSM that all pieces which are taken from other diploma lists would be classed as own-choice, so the B minor rhapsody could not be used for DipABRSM.

I like your first programme, but if you don't want to play Baroque then you don't have to. How about some 20th-C instead? Debussy or Gershwin, or an own choice.

Both my diplomas went up to the maximum limit in own choice pieces (I included an FRSM work from the harpsichord list in my LRSM). Don't worry about timing these to the second.

I have considered to include Debussy's Clair de Lune (~5 mins) as well, I just don't feel as confidence as other pieces.

I have got another question, would you consider transcriptions from Bach's organ pieces (the Fantasia (~7 mins) from Liszt S. 463 (Fantasia and Fugue in G minor after BWV 542)) as a baroque piece?

So here are the current plan:

1. Liszt - Fantasia only from Fantasia and Fugue in G minor (S. 463) after BWV 542 (~7 mins)
  3. Mozart - Sonata in D, K.311 (~15 mins)
  4. Brahms - Intermezzo in A (~6 mins) Total: ~37 mins

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18188 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:12

F & F in G Minor is great to play on the organ (as I do with difficulty), and it will still be baroque, but Id be wary of picking it as a Diploma piano piece.  Doesn't

seem to be appropriate somehow.

#8 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6579 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:38

The Busoni arrangement of the Toccata in D minor is considered by Trinity to be an LTCL level piece as its on their list.

#9 VincentN

VincentN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:56

F & F in G Minor is great to play on the organ (as I do with difficulty), and it will still be baroque, but Id be wary of picking it as a Diploma piano piece.  Doesn't

I have tried to learn the F & F in G minor on the organ few years ago as well, I can still remember how hard it was to play the piece (not so well), so I am only planning to play the fantasia only.

The Busoni arrangement of the Toccata in D minor is considered by Trinity to be an LTCL level piece as its on their list.

That Busoni arrangement is way harder than the original Toccata and Fugue in my opinion, but the Liszt's transcription isn't much difficult than the original (at least for the Fantasia).

#10 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6579 posts
  • Here

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:52

My ATCL programme contained no Classical- here it is for reference. I passed comfortably, but admittedly it is a different exam board.

Bach- French Suite in G
Debussy- Menuet from Suite Bergamasque
Debussy- Sarabande from Pour Le Piano
Dello Joio- Suite for Piano

I did the exam at a time when programme notes still had to be written so I was able to justify my programme choice as an exploration of the different types of suites and dance forms for piano.

#11 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18188 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 13:24

I have tried to learn the F & F in G minor on the organ few years ago as well, I can still remember how hard it was to play the piece (not so well), so I am only planning to play the fantasia only.

That Busoni arrangement is way harder than the original Toccata and Fugue in my opinion, but the Liszt's transcription isn't much difficult than the original (at least for the Fantasia).

LOL Vincent.  I was asked by the groom to play it before the service at a wedding when I was only 15 (1962) and about Grade 6 level !   But I thought the fugue easier than the Fantasia. I did practise and played the fugue. Did get Grade 8 in 1964 though.

#12 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 17 June 2020 - 14:42

Two pieces by one composer isn’t allowed for ABRSM. I am surprised Trinity allowed it.

My ATCL programme contained no Classical- here it is for reference. I passed comfortably, but admittedly it is a different exam board.

Bach- French Suite in G

I did the exam at a time when programme notes still had to be written so I was able to justify my programme choice as an exploration of the different types of suites and dance forms for piano.

#13 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6579 posts
  • Here

Posted 17 June 2020 - 14:46

Two pieces by one composer isn’t allowed for ABRSM. I am surprised Trinity allowed it.

Bach- French Suite in G

I don't think there was anything in the Trinity regs about it at the time. I have an LTCL programme approved with 2 pieces by Chopin, so it appears to be just not a thing for Trinity to restrict in that way.

#14 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 17 June 2020 - 16:44

I have received confirmation from ABRSM that all pieces which are taken from other diploma lists would be classed as own-choice, so the B minor rhapsody could not be used for DipABRSM.

I have got another question, would you consider transcriptions from Bach's organ pieces (the Fantasia (~7 mins) from Liszt S. 463 (Fantasia and Fugue in G minor after BWV 542)) as a baroque piece?

So here are the current plan:

1. Liszt - Fantasia only from Fantasia and Fugue in G minor (S. 463) after BWV 542 (~7 mins)
  3. Mozart - Sonata in D, K.311 (~15 mins)
  4. Brahms - Intermezzo in A (~6 mins) Total: ~37 mins

The Stradal transcription of the Adagio from Bach's organ sonata no.4 is rather lovely. Just over 5 minutes.

#15 VincentN

VincentN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 22:55

Would you prefer to play the Liszt's/Busoni's transcription as how you would play the original piece on the organ, or treat the piece as a new piano piece?