5 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:46

We are in New Zealand. Our borders are closed to most people currently, but my daughter is still preparing for her LRSM. Does anyone know what the plans for diplomas are under the Covid guidelines? I haven’t heard anything.

#2 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 12 June 2020 - 12:57

You're lucky to be in NZ.

I doubt there will be any news about diplomas for a while. Just keep practising and listening!

#3 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 00:25

I know we are very lucky to be over here. It does feel a bit weird asking about diplomas when the situation in UK...well, England, really - is so bad. But I don’t want my daughter wasting time on an exam that she won’t actually be able to take. She’s taking her LTCL in a few months time and then the plan is to do the LRSM. The research is taking her ages and she could concentrate more on her school work. So I’m just keen to make sure we hear if suddenly they simply can’t happen. Trinity has made plans for using examiners who we already in the country and so their diplomas are still ongoing. She is enjoying the search and loved taking her DipABRSM so we’d like her to take it if it’s at all possible. So I hope we get clarity soon.

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18189 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 13 June 2020 - 08:50

A friend of mine from Yorkshire emigrated to NZ in the 1970's and eventually became a Trinity examiner. Possibly retired by now as he'd be in his mid 70's . Surprised daughter is doing both LTCL and LRSM which are more or less equivalent diplomas.

#5 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:25

Trinity is performance only. AB is much more holistic. When I grew up in the UK, people had both! She’s only young and has plenty of time. It also means she gets to work on the most amazing repertoire as she is practising her technicals, sight reading, improv... and we really don’t know what would be the most useful. Anyway - doing both seems to work for her! Especially when Mum and Dad are paying for it!

#6 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 14 June 2020 - 10:33

You can take time over the LRSM. The viva and research will get easier for your daughter the older she is anyway. None of the preparation will be wasted.

Play lots and go to loads of concerts. Can't do that here...