Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:35

Curiousity got the better of me!
Similar to Hildegard's suggestion - I folded a couple of J cloths over and over into a flat sausage shape and wedged the pedal down. It works, pedal stayed down. But only a solution if it needs to be down for the whole piece ...

#17 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:44

It could be taught as an added skill for page-turners and stop pullers,  "J cloth remover/replacer"

#18 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • Germany

Posted 25 June 2020 - 13:12

Victor Borge could train someone!

https://youtu.be/LWqFaGwNCMU

#19 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 25 June 2020 - 16:35

Gosh, this takes me back Peter Dickinson was my music professor in the late 70s!

He's still going strong!

#20 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 25 June 2020 - 22:29

In about 200 years' time, all pianos will be fitted routinely with a simple hitch-down device for the una corda pedal. The followers of Historically informed Performance will be carefully having their hitch-down things removed from "authentic" 21st C pianos, and will be sketching door-stoppers and assorted domestic cleaning cloths in the V&A, so as to reproduce exactly the effect of an una corda gradually squeezing its J-Cloth through the course of a performance, becoming an un-and-a-half corda by the end. There will be enormous arguments about how a J-cloth provides a different effect to a door-stop, and about the density of different grades of rubber.

#21 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • Germany

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:50

:) :) :)

Hmmm, I had not considered this inherent design flaw of the J-cloth adapter.
Now I am envisaging a small sausage-shaped pressurised thingummybob, (now,now!) à la inflatable fabric structures method. PU coated canvas fabric needed. Please do not nick a sample out of your local bouncy castle. Attach to pressure pump (hissing sound effects included). Could perhaps have a variable pressure pump, at a flick of a switch you could get an infinite range of una-plus effects.

OH (engineer) suggested a hanging T-bar contraption that would be suspended between the two pedals, allowing them to be operated singly or together. Technical drawing available at a price!!

#22 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:56

Brilliant ideas! I'd only got as far as trying to use weight to hold it down, which didn't work, but forcing it down that way could be a goer! I will experiment!

Loving the idea of the authentic music performances, including the J cloth or door wedge ...  :)