Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14735 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 27 May 2020 - 22:45

Cool, Banjogirl, re the link.

Don't forget there are seven in the series.

Btw, it was Allan who shocked TV last year by telling him he was a tenor, not a baritone - so it's All His Fault (I told you he is a remarkable person).

:)

#17 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6531 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:16

I'm a tenor. We're a small chorus and for a long time there were only two tenors and we just got into the habit of never having sectionals. Now there are four of us, which is much better, but as section leader I really need to get a bit more organised. Our needs are different from those of the other sections, because we all read music so there are no note issues to deal with. But our tendency to sing a bit flat, as a section, is a perrenial problem. I did at least convince our MD that the tag she had written for our new song, which had us ending on a top g sharp, was not going to happen!

Yeesh. I’m an alto and my top note is a5. On a good day. It never occurred to me to be embarrassed by my range! (I’m average, whatever, it’s fine.)

I suspected you must be a tenor as alto sectionals are v serious business at all times ;) and sops have the melody so. (Joke. :unsure: Sorry sops. Your parts are tough too.)
I'm a lady tenor in a barbershop chorus. We're very special. :)
ooohhh cue the purists.... :)

I have the challenge of retraining from baritone to first tenor.... after it was discovered I can sing top C.....

While I'm planning to become a bass because I'm getting so squeaky on the high notes!

One of things that was 'odd' about my voice was I had a lot of power from about G below middle C upwards and I could knock holes in oak doors with top Ds and Es. I've sung Mahler 2 as a first bass and the top Gs weren't too outrageous. But, I'd been on early music workshops where you end up with "can some first basses take the second tenor line?" appeal goes out. Trouble was, after a while, I would tire and just wouldn't be able to do it. The other thing was I have very little power at the lower end. By the time you get to bottom F#/F the note is either 'on' or 'off'.

As @Cyrilla said, I had a lesson with Allan asking for an assessment of my voice. He did lots of very weird things - which was trying to get me to 'let go' (we acquire a lot of unconscious habits that 'lock up' the voice. He had me singing clear up to top C (octave above middle C) and said I could probably go higher if I wanted to....

I remember back in 1993 when I had my first singing lesson at the tender age of 33 that my teacher ummed and aahed about tenor/baritone and decided light baritone. I asked in the assessment why that decision had been made and he said that since I was 33, my voice had problem not fully settled especially as until then I'd had no training.

So, why did I tire singing 2nd tenor especially if I have a 1st tenor's range? The basic answer is because I'm trying to sing like a baritone and I'm pushing too hard - engaging all kinds of muscles and tensions to 'push' up to the top. That is way too much and al that effort tires quickly.

My lessons are geared around 'letting go' of all of that. Once you can free it up, it makes a huge difference. It will probably be another year before I can get to sing in a choir again though. One challenge will be I am very used to listening for and signing the bass line.