#571 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5156 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 12 September 2020 - 13:52

I know of a steward who panics and falls out with people even when things are going smoothly. She is incapable of flexible problem solving and then gets stressed and rude when she can't cope. "The waiting room is the door on the left. No no no, not that door - the other one on the left - the one with the "Waiting room" sign on the door." Fortunately most people know what she's like. I'm hoping they don't try to use that centre though -.it would send her over the edge!

#572 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2941 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 12 September 2020 - 14:25

It was noticeable when we went to Sweden in February that everyone was very sensibly and warmly dressed. Non of the stupid bravado you get here about not wearing a coat.

My 10 year old grandson in Norway has just had a week when the whole school did only outdoor activities, including a day long mountain walk and a cycling day. They even cooked their meals outside, despite very rainy weather and a storm one day. He loved it!  Of course, all the children have suitable clothes, which is normal in Scandinavia. 

#573 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 12 September 2020 - 15:02

My students can no longer use my waiting room. They have to do a "one in one out" policy.It's the same when we go to the vets - we wait outside, the vet comes out and takes our animal in. Not that the candidates are animals! ;) ...... Well maybe some are! Perhaps some centres could have a "wait outside policy" for practical exams- so that you were only allowed in when it was your turn to warm up.

Not sure how well that would work in Winter when its very cold outside. Sure, the people who drove could wait in their vehicle but what about those who travelled via public transport and shank's pony. The last time I took a music exam was in December 2010. I wouldn't have been at all happy about being made to wait in the freezing cold playground outside the primary school that was being used as the exam venue!

I would have thought it was the other way round. When I used to catch the bus to work, I was always prepared for up to an hour waiting outside in all weathers, as I never knew when it was going to arrive. When I walk, I also dress for the weather. When I drive, I don't always even pick up a jumper!

#574 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3322 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 12 September 2020 - 16:28

My sister broke down on the M62 on a very cold day, and they hadn't gone prepared for being outside in a howling gale. I always take clothes suitable for the weather now. You never know what's going to happen.

#575 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3322 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 12 September 2020 - 16:28

My mum was at school in the war. She said it was always really cold in their classrooms and they just had to wear plenty of layers under their uniforms.

#576 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Member: 10620

Posted 12 September 2020 - 17:59

I know of a steward who panics and falls out with people even when things are going smoothly. She is incapable of flexible problem solving and then gets stressed and rude when she can't cope. "The waiting room is the door on the left. No no no, not that door - the other one on the left - the one with the "Waiting room" sign on the door." Fortunately most people know what she's like. I'm hoping they don't try to use that centre though -.it would send her over the edge!

That sounds a lot like our local steward...... winds up parents, candidates and teachers in equal measure!!

#577 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5156 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 19:08

I think we may have the same one! Does not being able to warm up because she wants the piano all to herself to last minute cram her prep test pupil who can't play the pieces sound familiar? :rolleyes:

#578 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Member: 10620

Posted 12 September 2020 - 20:23

Ah maybe not as ours doesn’t teach anymore. There’s obviously more than one of this type of steward....

#579 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5156 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:39

Oh deep joy! :lol:

#580 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8385 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted Yesterday, 09:43

The student thread is not very lively but if anyone is nterested there is a post about on line practical exams by a candidate (not my pupil) in France which also shows the technical difficulties of on line exams.

To catch up, I did eventually get a reply from the AB. Very unfortunately something went wrong. I first saw it on my telephone. I opened it and glanced very quicky through and decided to read properly it that evening on my computer. I know that I did not delete it from my phone.That evening it was not   in my inbox, not in the undesirables either. So I went back to my phone - and it had disappeared from that too. Even if I had deleted it from my phone it would still have remained on the computer so I have no idea what happened. I have never had this problem before, nor since.

All I can remember of the mail is that there was an attempt to answer my general questions with the usual rather bland assurances and the writer - whose name I can't remember - said the specific questions would be passed on to other departments from whom I would get a reply. Of course I haven't. I may mail again but I am having an extremely hectic time at the moment so it certainly won't be before next weekend. Meanwhile has anyone else heard anything of interest?