#346 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted Today, 17:10

Here in Hong Kong (which is also in the Far East), this switch has been met with almost unanimous disapproval from teachers. The main concerns are the further watering down of the syllabus, and the possibility of cheating.

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but here in Far East practically no one here has issue with the move to online only Theory exam. Some of us teachers do lament the further diluting of the syllabus, but really for the parents and students they do not mind.

Over here, the practical and theory exams easily cost as least twice as what UK's fees. Just compare the price of UK's Grade 5 Theory which is 40 GBP vs Singapore's Grade 5 Theory which is after conversion is 94 GBP. Grade 8 practical cost 293 GBP vs UK's 99 GBP. So, understandably, pretty much you got to be well off to learn music over here and if you can afford ABRSM's exams, you are most likely to have the necessary IT gadgets.

I'm sure ABRSM might lose some customers in UK, but assuming they maintain the same current regional pricing, the significant saving from moving to online only should produce significant savings in other markets. And that should be enough to offset the loss in UK I think.