#31 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 24 May 2020 - 19:02

I wonder if they could cut the number of scales down for each grade and have the student play them all in the order they appear in the syllabus?  They could make them all hands together for piano.  Woodwind candidates could decide whether they want to play tongued or legato.  Not sure how well that would work though, and it could be open to cheating (note names written down out-with the view of the camera).

#32 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 24 May 2020 - 20:45

If you read the guidance document, available from this page,
[link not working]
The grade 6-8 exams are still three pieces and supporting tests.
Weird the software keeps changing the URL, so go to
Our Exams - > click on the Find Out More button in the Covid-19 banner-> which takes you to the UK Updates page. Click on the Adapted Exams Here link in the first paragraph. And then click on the Guidance For Adapted Exams (2020) link.

The adapted exams are the ones just for year 13 pupils this year. The new online ones are the ones which are performance only, 4 pieces for all grades and no supporting tests, available from August.

#33 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:20

From a student's prospective, as long as both formats of the exams are equally recognised, there aren't much incentives to do the traditional ones where you have to study scales, aural and sight reading. Surely it's more fun just to learn a 4th piece. Not to mention the comfort of being in your own home and possibly record yourself many times until you find the perfect version!

#34 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:32

I agree many would prefer that. but at the same time other boards offer a performance option already and still have many entrants for the grade exams s o it doesn't mean all will.

#35 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 25 May 2020 - 14:31

I don't know exactly but I'm guessing other boards make those performance options as a separate qualification, which could affect some students if they want to apply for certain universities and conservatories. There is no indication that ABRSM makes them a separate qualification. They might not even distinguish them in the certificates even.

#36 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 25 May 2020 - 17:16

yes  I was assuming  they would make them a separate qualification 

#37 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41767 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted Yesterday, 15:36

Well done ABRSM for finally offering an online exam - my feeling though is that this is a watered down version of what I still feel are very high quality ‘face to face’ exams - as such, unless I get a parent/student absolutely desperate to do an exam, I shall be saving people’s money and waiting for in person exams to resume.

#38 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted Today, 08:22

While I am all for “proper exams” and feel very strongly about the importance of the supporting tests, I have quite a few youngsters at around grade 1, 2 & 3 level who are more than ready and were looking forward to doing their exams in the summer. I am very confident that their scales, sight reading and aural skills are up to standard and the challenge of learning a fourth piece will keep them busy in the next few weeks. And so I am happily going to suggest to them to go for the “lite” exams, put the grade behind them so we can move forward, and hopefully by the time they’re ready for the next grade the “proper” exams will be in full swing again. The thought of them having put a lot of effort into this already just to move them on with no specific piece of paper to show for it, feels a little cruel and the alternative of keeping their current pieces going indefinitely while we wait for proper exams to resume, also seems silly - they are already quite bored with their current grade work.