#1 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:16

My church have asked if I could record some hymns to be played during the online service, but I don't have any recording equipment. I have an accoustic piano in a room with a hard floor and little soft furnishings.

I have tried a sample recording on my laptop, but even when I try to 'clean it up' afterwards, it is difficult to even tell it is a piano! It sounds like I'm playing underwater and all the low notes blend together.

Does anyone have any suggestions, as I don't really want to spend any money on something that I am hoping won't even be needed in a few weeks time. 

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:11

Are you using the laptop's own microphone?  A better, external mic would help.    I was once asked to do something similar and was able to borrow a mic that plugged into my PC and produced quite a good sound. Maybe your church will have something - the main problem may be the interface.

#3 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:12

If I were you, I'd reply that you've tried but it's disastrous with just your laptop, and ask if there is there anyone in the church who has any recording apparatus they can lend you that might do a better job? It may be that your church also contains a friendly, covert recording engineer with better equipment who can offer advice and long-distance tech-support.

#4 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4957 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:36

Can you suggest that they buy a CD of hymns, which would be much less cost and effort for them than what they are asking you to do?

#5 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 21 May 2020 - 14:10

Can you suggest that they buy a CD of hymns, which would be much less cost and effort for them than what they are asking you to do?

I think it is nice for someone at the church to play rather than a CD of strangers.   Anyway I have made a few recordings and used my mobile phone.   It is ok and better than nothing but does not give a professional sound

#6 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4957 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 21 May 2020 - 15:51

It''s nice if you want to do it. Less so if you are being put upon.

#7 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 21 May 2020 - 15:55

Another second for a mobile phone - there are a few audio recording apps available and the built in mic will probably be better than your laptop. If your room is really hard, do you have any spare duvets or similar soft furnishings you could use to soften it?

#8 KathyB

KathyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Member: 487205

Posted 21 May 2020 - 18:21

They can probably download professional recordings from Your Accompanist for about 99p each.

#9 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 21 May 2020 - 21:03

Thank you for your suggestions. They are using recordings at the moment, but I think they thought it would be nice for the congregation to have something familiar (not sure what that says about my make it up as you go along style of playing!). I will have a go on my mobile, and I could try bringing bedding downstairs. We don't have any spare - I had to buy more recently as the kids have moved back in for lockdown and didn't bring theirs with them! There are microphones at church, but I would have to get a key from someone to fetch one. 

#10 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14663 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 21 May 2020 - 22:08

My husband is a church DoM, is even less techie than me, and has managed to make good enough recordings on his phone, which everyone seems happy with.

:)