Stephen Barber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Member: 69976

Posted 17 March 2020 - 16:08

https://www.kentonli...utbreak-223914/

Funerals and weddings can still happen but "should be scaled back as much as possible".

#2 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:48

All denominations have basically said the same. Some will be broadcasting closed services via the internet or recording and presumably distributing via podcast.

Chester Cathedral have been broadcasting via their youtube channel for months and are broadcasting some evensongs and a Sunday service which entails just the lay clerks and a member of clergy, no congregation and I believe they are trialling basic video as of yesterday rather than just sound. Others will be doing similar

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18063 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 March 2020 - 14:07

Yes no Methodist Churches either, just been informed this morning. But I dont take payment for playing the organ anyway.

#4 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 18 March 2020 - 14:53

As I will be working from home for the foreseeable future (close to churches I have connections with) I may approach them to offer my services for funerals as a considerable number of organists would be in the "should self-isolate" categories and I think work will allow me to work my hours around them as long as I don't do it too often.

That being said, when I contacted someone I know who works for an undertaker to give him my details he said they were expecting funerals to unattended by the end of next week! Perhaps there will be a boom in memorial services when this is over.

The downside is I will have run out of excuses for not doing all the jobs that have been waiting for months if not years, my house will finally get a thorough tidy and spring-clean, who knows what treasures I will unearth and my car may get a wash for the first time in a year.

#5 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5179 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 18 March 2020 - 17:24

I think you're right about the boom in memorial services because I've heard of one where the funeral service was cancelled, much to the distress of the daughter.
I suspect the churches might shove several together into one occasion though.

#6 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 18 March 2020 - 20:22

I’m playing for a funeral tomorrow - I don’t have a separate organ loft but should be able to keep my distance. There won’t be many people there, anyway.

#7 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6676 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 19 March 2020 - 13:43

Nor Roman Catholics. (Easter celebrations cancelled - small sigh of relief in our household - might actually be able to enjoy Easter this year).

#8 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:31

I’m playing for a funeral tomorrow - I don’t have a separate organ loft but should be able to keep my distance. There won’t be many people there, anyway.

More people than I thought - the deceased had been one of eight children, and had six children and 18 grandchildren herself. About 40 folk attended. We have chairs rather than pews and they had been well spaced out but even so....