56 replies to this topic

#46 Totorodinopiano

Totorodinopiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 899561

Posted 20 March 2020 - 16:08

I gave my one student whose exam is cancelled a final mock test yesterday, so we could celebrate what they'd achieved but draw a line under it and move on. They would have had another couple of weeks to prepare, so it's not exactly fair, but seemed the best approach given the circumstances. Their dad had asked about having a break from exam stuff and then re-taking it in the autumn, but I've recommended that we move on to other things and then start work on the next grade when appropriate. It's such a shame after all their hard work, but can't be helped under the circumstances. Apart from the initial 'why hasn't the website changed?' frustration, I think ABRSM have done pretty well, considering.

I would imagine our piano festival will also be cancelled now - I certainly won't be able to go. I'm starting to consider the feasibility of a virtual pupils' concert, to add something they can work towards and have fun with. I'm thinking child protection would be the big issue there...

My grade 5 exam was meant to be on 23 March, it was merely 4 days away when I was notified of the cancellation. When I spoke to the ABRSM local office to enquire about future exam dates, the lady had advised that I move on to the next grade. After all the hard work, I felt that there was no closure with no official certification. However, the next available season won’t be until October. I really cannot imagine maintaining the three pieces for another 7months! I wonder if it is possible to start preparing for grade 6 exam (for exam in March 2021 and still maintain the grade 5 songs and scales (for exam in Oct 2020). Will that cause confusion?

#47 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 20 March 2020 - 17:19

I've read ABRSM website that exams are suspended until 1st July. Does that mean there is still a possibility exams might go ahead at least part of the summer session after 1st July?

#48 TomABRSM

TomABRSM

Mod

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 897558

Posted 20 March 2020 - 17:23

Are the exams definitely suspended tomorrow as the update notice that I saw last night mentioning it seems to have been removed from this website? I have not received any email from them about it and I have 3 pupils who should be sitting exams tomorrow. 

Did you check your junk mail folder? My ABRSM email was there.

I checked my junk mail folder before posting. I have still not had an email from them. 

Wow - that's bad.

It appear that reps have been informed and have sent out info to the candidates in their area and posted on local facebook pages but direct entries have not yet been told.

trinity facebook has been updated with other posts but nothing about COvid which Is bad in my opinion.Neither has their website been updated since 13th March  so I am in the situation of knowing that the exam must be postponed but having  no official notification of it anywhere or received an email. I have checked junk box. I also tried logging into entry but that just shows the same "Awaiting exam" status

Hi,

Just to clarify - emails were sent out and messages put on the website but it seems that there were a few technical issues with some emails being blocked and a caching issue on the website which meant some of you only saw the older message from the 13 March rather than the newer updated messages that clarified our position on postponing all exams. The latest updates can be seen below.

www.abrsm.org/en/covid-19-update/

www.abrsm.org/en/chief-executive-message/

#49 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 20 March 2020 - 17:37

My grade 5 exam was meant to be on 23 March, it was merely 4 days away when I was notified of the cancellation. When I spoke to the ABRSM local office to enquire about future exam dates, the lady had advised that I move on to the next grade. After all the hard work, I felt that there was no closure with no official certification. However, the next available season won’t be until October. I really cannot imagine maintaining the three pieces for another 7months! I wonder if it is possible to start preparing for grade 6 exam (for exam in March 2021 and still maintain the grade 5 songs and scales (for exam in Oct 2020). Will that cause confusion?

I'm sorry to hear you missed out on your exam so close to the date - I can completely understand that you must want some closure. I'd probably recommend taking a video of yourself playing your pieces while they're at peak level, or giving a family/virtual concert - so you have the chance to 'finish' well at this stage. You don't need to pass one practical exam to move on to the next, so the only reason to take the grade 5 exam is if you really want to. If that's the case, put the pieces away for a while, and then come back to them again much nearer the exam time. You'll need to re-learn them to a certain degree, but it will be much quicker than the first time - and something that's good to do with old performance pieces anyway. I personally don't move pupils straight into preparing for the next grade after an exam, but if you were my pupil, I'd definitely want you to move on to other pieces and then start grade 6 prep when you've consolidated. For ABRSM Grade 6 practical, you also need a pass at Grade 5 theory, so if you haven't already done that, bear it in mind as you plan forwards. Good luck with your next steps!

#50 Totorodinopiano

Totorodinopiano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 899561

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:53

I'm sorry to hear you missed out on your exam so close to the date - I can completely understand that you must want some closure. I'd probably recommend taking a video of yourself playing your pieces while they're at peak level, or giving a family/virtual concert - so you have the chance to 'finish' well at this stage. You don't need to pass one practical exam to move on to the next, so the only reason to take the grade 5 exam is if you really want to. If that's the case, put the pieces away for a while, and then come back to them again much nearer the exam time. You'll need to re-learn them to a certain degree, but it will be much quicker than the first time - and something that's good to do with old performance pieces anyway. I personally don't move pupils straight into preparing for the next grade after an exam, but if you were my pupil, I'd definitely want you to move on to other pieces and then start grade 6 prep when you've consolidated. For ABRSM Grade 6 practical, you also need a pass at Grade 5 theory, so if you haven't already done that, bear it in mind as you plan forwards. Good luck with your next steps!

Thank you for your comforting words. Yes i did record myself a few days ago as a form of memory in case I forget how to play the songs after completing the exams. Didn’t expect the recording to serve a different purpose now i.e. as a closure.

While I understand that health is of utmost importance, I can’t seem to stop wondering why ABRSM didn’t just allow the final week of exams to be completed before recalling all their examiners back to the UK. After all, their examiners were already here since 21 Feb. Sigh...

Initially based on the CEO’s email, there was still chance to take the exam in July but now they have announced on their website that season 2 is also cancelled. The earliest would be season 3 in Sept/Oct. i guess holding on till July is still bearable but Sept/Oct is a good 7 months away. It does make sense now to proceed to grade 6. Question now is, whether to buy the current Grade 6 2019-2020 syllabus or wait for new one in June. I think they still have a year of overlap i.e 2019-2020 syllabus can still be used for 2021?

Yes, I did my grade 5 theory exam 2 years ago. Tried to do grade 6 theory but found it really dry and stopped. Perhaps i should pick it up again.

#51 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1623 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:22

If we can teach by Skype, I'm starting to think exams could be done this way too. If I were in charge of abrsm I would be working towards implementing this for the summer session.

#52 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 19:56

For those who have not seen- on FB abrsm have posted about the possibility of conducting remote exams now.

#53 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 22 March 2020 - 19:30

I was talking about this with the Boy, who will very likely not be able to do his second year recital at conservatoire. He could of course do it over Skype but I then wondered who would accompany him, and would he be able to play his pieces unaccompanied? It's not as easy as just using the internet. Do I need to get practising? I fear that his pieces may be well beyond my accompanying skills!

#54 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 23:19

What about grade 5 theory? I have two students planning to sit it in June then take grade 6 practical in the autumn. Surely abrsm would let them sit both in the same term ?

#55 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:14

I had a batch of pupils due to take their exams this week. I was particularly sad for one of them as she is a girl who seriously lacks confidence, and having been brilliantly prepared she had a meltdown in the room - unrecognisable from how she played in the warm up room. Thankfully she was so well prepared that she still got a solid pass but not a nice experience for her. So we took some consolidation time building to grade 3 and worked a lot on strategies for the performance, and was hoping this time she was going to triumph in the room . . . alas she didn't get her chance!

No way is she waiting to the autumn as she was already over ready, but I have just emailed the Mum to suggest that a friend of mine (another teacher) could give her a mock exam on zoom. It would make it a bit more real than with me doing it. I haven't told the friend any of the back story and they are not on the forums, as I would want it to be as real as possible. 

I was thinking that if our pupils are keen for a substitute mock exam that hearing each other's pupils might be a good half way house to the real thing.

#56 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3261 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:38

I did a mock exam like this yesterday and I am very happy to do so for anyone. All concerned were really chuffed.

Some candidates will be happy to defer but I do think for many to have all their hard work assessed independently is a positive and rewarding exercise.

Bx

#57 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2979 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:51

I did a mock exam like this yesterday and I am very happy to do so for anyone. All concerned were really chuffed.

Some candidates will be happy to defer but I do think for many to have all their hard work assessed independently is a positive and rewarding exercise.

Bx

That's a great idea, people doing mock exams for each other.