YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Member: 897222
  • South Wales

Posted 06 March 2020 - 16:47

So disappointed with myself :(

I completed my Grade 3 Music Theory Exam on Wednesday during 'Day 1' of a 2-day migraine, which made me feel like vomiting... I was shaking but not through nerves, I get excited by written exams normally (yes, I am nuts!).

I felt so awful, I went in to the exam, the examiner was 3 minutes late starting the exam (reading out rules *at* 5pm exam start time!) And did not give the 3(!) Minutes back at the end.
I made *such* stupid mistakes that I would never normally have made. One question, for example, was to re-write a melody in half the time... argh... I doubled the time! So thats a whole 10 marks off already. No Distinction for me this time. I may even possibly miss out on a merit. 1st world problems, I know. I was so so prepared for it and I am gutted but onwards and upwards. I know I have the knowledge but I did want my certificate to show it (even if that is a bit sad and shallow :( ). I am not bothered enough to resit it. On with G4 Theory now. Thanks for reading.

#2 poggyman

poggyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Member: 899816

Posted 06 March 2020 - 17:33

You never know - you might just have done better than you think. OK, perhaps not the distinction you wanted but a merit might come your way. In any event you know that would have been capable to have got a distinction but for your migraine and that's the most important thing. Give it a few days and I'm sure the hurt will subside and your joie de vivre will return: plus the impetus to go forward to Grade 4? Let's face it, disappointments are all part of life's rich tapestry. Bets of luck on your journey.

#3 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 06 March 2020 - 17:53

Thanks so much for your reply. I think by nature, I tend to second guess my exams each time I take an exam but I am very aware of what it takes for the marking criteria boundaries. It is okay though, I am frankly happy to be starting some Grade 4 Theory and stop doing Grade 3 past papers :D

Next exam will hopefully be Grade 3 Piano Performance... not too excited by that though. I am a very nervous performer. I have taken a bit longer to prepare as I was having lots of seizures during G2 prep and wanted to be fit for G3... currently 8 months seizure free :)

Its a good job I enjoy all this, ha ha.

Thanks again :)

#4 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 07 March 2020 - 20:38

Hey it really is great you're doing so well on your musical journey, despite some tough times by the sound of it. Really, you got to enjoy this stuff for the musical gain you get! The certificate is, well, a certificate! :)

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 07 March 2020 - 21:57

Migraines really mess with the way the brain works, so I'm really impressed you even managed to get to your G3 theory exam. You deserve a certificate for that on its own! Please don't beat yourself up about not doing as well as you expected to; it's only a marker along life's musical journey, and you don't need a certificate to know yourself what you are capable of - and that is a lot, by the sound of it.

#6 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 08 March 2020 - 00:31

Hi Both, Ah its 4 days passed now so I am feeling less sensitive about it. The migraine lasted 2 days in total and yes, like you Misterioso, my brain does not work normally during a migraine. I had memorised specific things so well and when I got in the exam, I just could not think clearly for the life of me.

Still, as I say... its all done and dusted now. I'm not put me off. I don't stay down for long. The music journey is indeed the best one thankfully :)

#7 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 08 March 2020 - 00:32

ten left thumbs, Thanks for your compassion and encouragement. I really appreciate that :)

#8 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 08 March 2020 - 08:50

One question, for example, was to re-write a melody in half the time... argh... I doubled the time! So thats a whole 10 marks off already.

Very unlikely. It means that that question will not receive a pass mark (7/10) but if your doubling of note values is done correctly and the answer is written neatly, you might well received up to 6/10. If I remember correctly, examiners only award a zero mark if there is no attempt to answer the question.

#9 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:01

Hildegard, thats really interesting to read and thank you for your encouragement. I really appreciate that. It gives me some hope :)