#1 seaweed5254

seaweed5254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Member: 1472
  • Stockport, Cheshire

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:56

I've started to focus on chromatic scales for Grade 7 for the last 2 weeks; ie starting on A, B, D, and F. However, everytime i go back to any of it the next day, i keep forgetting the pattern on the E string. My teacher has given me different finger patterns on the E string for these 4 which confuses me. I don't have a problem with the lower strings as they are 0-1-2-1-2-3-4. Can anyone give any tips on what i need to watch out for? Or any recommended finger patterns that i can easily remember? Thanks!

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6228 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 01 March 2020 - 14:40

Gosh, I had actually forgotten doing those for my Grade 7! I don't remember it being a problem, but it might have been the way I learnt them. Could you focus on just one for now, and really internalise the finger patterns before adding in a second pattern? Try it near the beginning of your practice session and again at the end - I used to find doing this helped me with scales a lot. Trying to learn four different finger patterns at once would confuse anyone. It was always the diminished 7ths that had me tearing my hair out! 

#3 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:28

I like the ABRSM book of grade 6-8 scales and arpeggios, but I have a question about the 3-octave arpeggios.

On the way down the fingering is basically 4314, never 4312, and I wonder why.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to stress the slide on the first finger down to the next note it is going to play, i.e. the dominant, so the fingering is 43141, whereas 43123 onto the A string would give the first finger nothing immediately to do.

Does that make sense?

#4 seaweed5254

seaweed5254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Member: 1472
  • Stockport, Cheshire

Posted 03 March 2020 - 21:17

I am now using a chart to keep track of what i have already done for all the required scales for the exams. I did try to learn 1 chrom scale at a time. And then learned 2 at a time. I've not touched on the diminished 7ths yet other than in the key of d so i still got a long way to go. Even after all the practice the past 2 wks, when i came to my lesson yesterday, i still managed to make a mess of the fingering and intonation. I don't think I'll be able to make it for the July exams. :-(