4 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:17

My daughter recently passed her DipABRSM (with distinction) and has started getting together research books for her LRSM. She got 22/25 for her viva voce/programme notes, and figures she’ll have to work incredibly hard to get a decent mark on her Licentiate. So has anyone got any advice? Is it a case of learn and analyse everything you can? Any good blogs to read or advice other than that produced by the board?

#2 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:37

LRSM vivas go beyond the pieces performed in the recital, so if you're playing Mozart, you should expect to asked about Haydn and the differences between the two composers.

Getting as broad an experience as possible is important, so listen to a wide range of the repertoire – especially other pieces by the composers you're playing and works by their contemporaries, and get a good overview of the development of the repertoire as a whole (this is for sax – yes?). Go to lots of concerts, read reviews, CD liner notes, anything. Radio 3 archives (composer of the week etc) are useful too.

I deliberately took my time between Dip and LRSM and learnt many pieces from the list that did not feature in the final exam. The programme came together only in the last 8 months.

#3 KiwiMusicMum

KiwiMusicMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 899711

Posted 22 February 2020 - 21:53

Thank you - yes, she plays alto sax. She has been listening to and playing lots of the list to try and get an idea for the programme. She took well over a year getting her DipABRSM notes before she started learning and editing them. So we wondered how much more learning would be involved for the L. We are figuring on 18months+. Sound about right?

#4 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 29 February 2020 - 19:20

I'd say 18 months was the very minimum timescale. It depends on a lot of things, not least whether you decide on the programme quickly, or take a more scenic route. I wouldn't rush into it. She'll learn more if she takes her time.

#5 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:43

Thank you - yes, she plays alto sax. She has been listening to and playing lots of the list to try and get an idea for the programme. She took well over a year getting her DipABRSM notes before she started learning and editing them. So we wondered how much more learning would be involved for the L. We are figuring on 18months+. Sound about right?

I took my LRSM 12 months after my DipABRSM. If your daughter is not in a hurry, she can take more time working on her programme notes, and only enter when she is ready. Congratulations on her excellent result and I hope she will do just as well or even better on LRSM!