2 replies to this topic

#1 Bernart de Ventadorn

Bernart de Ventadorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 899989

Posted 19 January 2020 - 22:52

Does anyone have experience of the junior division of the Chethams International Piano Summer School?  Either from your children attending previous years or even just planning to go this year?  (It's not clear from the website whether it is new this year.).  I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone with primary-school-age children, but any other comments most welcome too, particularly in relation to age-range and playing standard.

#2 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5032 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 19 January 2020 - 23:40

The ones I came across last year would have been 8-11 or thereabouts and I would estimate the average to have been grade 7-ish. I wasn't there to sit in on children's lessons but one or two did play as I watched. There will have been more advanced players among them I'm sure, as well as less proficient.

#3 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 21 January 2020 - 23:01

The Junior Academy (for children only) is new this year, although there have always been children on the main summer school (which they can still go to, but only if accompanied by an adult). In the past , it's been all ages and various standards, although they tend to be fairly advanced for their ages as they need to be very keen on piano to enjoy it. It's not a competitive atmosphere, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, summer schools, primary school, children