10 replies to this topic

#1 cruiser

cruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899786

Posted 14 January 2020 - 18:01

Having recently passed my trombone  grade 5 practical I'd like to move on to grade 6, but firstly, of course, I need to pass grade 5 theory. I'd like to take the theory exam in March but I'm wondering if this may be, perhaps, a little too ambitious? I would appreciate any related advice, particularly with regard to study books/material. Also, am I correct in thinking that the syllabus has changed and no longer includes the composition element?

Best wishes to all my fellow adult students!

Mike

#2 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 14 January 2020 - 18:56

Having recently passed my trombone  grade 5 practical I'd like to move on to grade 6, but firstly, of course, I need to pass grade 5 theory. I'd like to take the theory exam in March but I'm wondering if this may be, perhaps, a little too ambitious? I would appreciate any related advice, particularly with regard to study books/material. Also, am I correct in thinking that the syllabus has changed and no longer includes the composition element?

Mike

The level of ambitiousness would depend on how much music theory you already know.  About what level are you at now?

I had an adult student who went from G1 theory to G5 in about five months.  She worked her tail off and actually scored 100%.  (Very proud of her!)

My student used a mixture of material I wrote myself, and also material from MyMuiscTheory.com.  (Victoria, the proprietor of MyMusicTheory, is a member here.  She is very approachable and helpful.  She gives so much material away for free, but I would recommend purchasing her PDF.)

If you're not already close to G5, I probably wouldn't recommend trying for it in March.  June might be more realistic, but would still require a lot of hard work.

Good luck!

#3 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2020 - 20:03

I am adult learner woefully struggling and stagnated in any form in progress having not too long ago luckily passed grade 3.  Despite that I managed 99% on the grade 5 theory paper last year after a couple of months of study.  I used only two resources in the main – the 'pink' book, The AB Guide to Music Theory, Part 1 (Eric Taylor), and a couple of sets of grade 5 past papers (2011 and 2018).  Specific questions were directed to the good people of the Forum when clarification was needed here and there.

If rubbishy old me can get such a mark after a few months not very intense study, then I'm sure you can.

#4 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 14 January 2020 - 23:20

Mike

As others have said, it depends where you're starting from. Having got to grade 5 practical, you'll have obviously picked up lots of theory along the way, but equally there might be some gaps in your knowledge compared to what's on the syllabus. One way to gauge this could be to work your way through the sample papers freely available for each grade on the ABRSM website (two papers available per grade, along with answers), and then jump in to studying theory at the grade where you start to struggle with the questions. (There's also booklets of past papers and corresponding model answers available to buy - have a look on Amazon etc.)

The papers (and answers) are available here: https://ag.abrsm.org...tice-materials/

IMO, if you're not confident with more or less everything up to grade 4 at this stage, I suspect getting up to grade 5 in time for the March exam might be a bit of a push.

You are correct in saying that there is no composition questions anymore, and questions about terms (and I think signs) are now multiple choice. 

A resource I've recently found and quite like is http://www.sharonbill.com/ - Sharon has a YouTube channel where she works through all the exercises in each of the Music Theory in Practice workbooks, as well as working through the past paper questions.

And as Dr Rogers has said, there's the excellent MyMusicTheory website too.

Also, if you're jazz-minded, you can take a Grade 5 Jazz practical exam as an alternative to the theory exam if that interests you.

#5 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:27

I am another mature pupil who wants to do G1 theory. I've revised using the mymusictheory website and past papers from a local music  shop as well. There are lots of resources out there online etc. You can also buy exam papers from Amazon, have a look on their website too. 

What did you score for G3 music theory? Use that to guide your decision. If you got a solid merit or distinction, I say go for it, do not hold back. But if you only scraped a pass or weak merit, I'd recommend reading the feedback and seeing if you have any areas of weaknesses first before proceeding to take another exam. How confident are you right now that you will pass grade five? 

#6 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:10

Did I miss something? Where did the OP say he had passed Grade 3 Theory? It's not easy to advise the OP about when to take the exam without knowing his current level of knowledge and experience with past papers etc. 

#7 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:49

If rubbishy old me can get such a mark after a few months not very intense study, then I'm sure you can.

I strongly suspect you aren't quite as "rubbishy" as you think, LF! You did really well with that, and with your Grade 3!

#8 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:11

Hi cruiser, 

If it helps, a while back I did take Trinity Grade 5 theory with the help of past papers (ABRSM and Trinity) and the ABRSM workbooks in a fairly limited amount of time. There are some differences in the requirements (though I can't remember the differences in detail). I had done some alternative online study as well. I assume you are taking ABRSM practical exams, but it's worth mentioning that they accept other boards' theory exams - see https://tr.abrsm.org...r-grades-6-8/.

#9 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 900004

Posted 16 January 2020 - 15:01

My 10 year old recently scored 98% in her Grade 5 Theory Exam. Some of her music teachers helped and she worked through the ABRSM Grade 5 Theory workbooks.

I also obtained 3 past papers for her and printed out all the terms, which I and her junior brother began testing her on, as she'd learned them.  She also used, occasionally, a theory app on my phone.

She had not taken any previous theory exams and never wants to again :)

#10 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 898726
  • Glasgow

Posted Yesterday, 22:31

Thanks for posting this, it's something am thinking about just now - have intermittently worked my way through G1-G3 theory workbooks, but find it hard to stick with as I love to play piano so much more than study theory :-) I have got to grips with the G6 practical work quite quickly (sat G5 in November).  So the 2019/2020 books will be out of date by the time I am anywhere near passing a G5 theory exam!  I signed up for a Grade 5 theory evening class in Glasgow at one of the colleges (runs from Feb-May), am not sure the course will go ahead without enough people signing up to do it so am keeping my fingers crossed! Then I might try and do the exam in the summer...who knows I might even pass!

#11 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted Today, 14:06

As others have said, it depends what you already know and attempting past papers would be a good way to gauge that.

I know one teacher who does group classes for G5 theory as an intensive course. If that sounds like something that would suit you, check with your teacher, if they don't they may know someone who does although you may have missed the boat this term.