#1 fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Member: 70814
  • Epsom

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:06

I'm back to learning clarinet after a long hiatus, using a Stagg ebonite Bb clarinet. I just want to play for my own amusement and to join in with my husband when he plays guitar and with friends who play ukulele and keyboard. We had a few friends round on Saturday to play various bits and pieces and it was a lot of fun.

The frustrating thing is that as a beginner I can only play in a limited number of keys, and I can't play by ear. I think it would help to have a non-transposing instrument, and I'm looking at cheap C clarinets. My clarinet teacher recommended the clarineo but I'm not convinced. 

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

#2 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6222 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 January 2020 - 21:21

I'm a sax player, not a clarinettist, but my understanding is that the C clarinet is not the easiest instrument to play.

#3 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:54

I don't know anything about clarineos but I have  C clarinet that I can use for just such eventualities. I love my C clarinet which has a gorgeous sweet tone, it is just as easy or difficult  to play as  a Bb clarinet but it sounds different. I know people who don't like the sound they get on their C clarinets so I consider myself lucky to have a good one  (it wasn't cheap though). My advice is to go to some woodwind shops and try out some C clarinets ....see if you like them.

If you can play with other people you will have more fun and play more so you will improve faster. Go fror it!

#4 fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Epsom

Posted 08 January 2020 - 20:18

Thank you!

I think you're right and I need to find a music shop where I can try out some different instruments. I don't want to get something that I end up hating!

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41754 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 13 January 2020 - 13:28

Clarineos are a bit like marmite I find : you either love or hate.
I can’t say I’m a fan I’m afraid. The sound they make is actually half decent, but mechanical reliability is very suspect in my experience.

#6 fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Epsom

Posted 18 January 2020 - 18:54

So, I tried a clarineo. Good sound, horrible to play, and didn't even have all the keys I needed for low F and E (or if they were there I coudn't find them.)

Tried a cheap C clarinet - it's perfect for what I need.

(I also accidentally bought a student Bb Buffet clarinet as well but that's another story.)