6 replies to this topic

#1 shyamal1308

shyamal1308

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 898761

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:21

So, I currently don't have a teacher, so I decided to ask here about the selection of the pieces I want to play in DipARSM, hopefully next year. All of these pieces have been chosen mostly because I had played them before.

JS Bach: Prelude and Fugue no. 14 in F# minor, BWV 859;

Mozart: Sonata in C, K.309

Mendelssohn: Prelude and Fugue in F minor: no.5 from '6 Preludes and Fugues', op.35

Debussy: Suite "Pour le Piano': 2nd movt, Sarabande.

Any feedback will he highly helpful.

#2 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:41

I think it could be more balanced. The easiest solution in my opinion is to replace the Mendelssohn with something in a major key (since you have a lot of minor keys) that isn't a Prelude and Fugue (since you're already playing the Bach). 

#3 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6232 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 14 December 2019 - 14:02

Disclaimer- I did ATCL not DipAB- I don't think it's necessarily a problem to play 2 pieces of the same type (ie 2 Prelude & Fugue) if that is addressed in the programme notes. I played a Bach French Suite and also parts of other suites by Debussy (including that same Sarabande) so it was basically a programme built around different types of suites and dances. However I specifically mentioned this programme construction in my notes and was not marked down for it. (I did old syllabus ATCL where one still had to write programme notes). 

#4 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 14 December 2019 - 17:06

I played a prelude and fugue by Bach (Book 2 in E), and then one by Shostakovich (G flat minor) in my dipABRSM.

The other two pieces were a Mozart Sonata (B flat major) and then Ravel's Sonatine, so these followed the same idea of a classical/baroque form used by 20th-century composers and my notes emphasized this idea. I'd played everything years before, except for the Shostakovich, which was completely new, but the addition of this piece pulled the whole programme together, and the examiners certainly liked it.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17839 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 14 December 2019 - 18:52

I played a prelude and fugue by Bach (Book 2 in E), and then one by Shostakovich (G flat minor) in my dipABRSM.

The other two pieces were a Mozart Sonata (B flat major) and then Ravel's Sonatine, so these followed the same idea of a classical/baroque form used by 20th-century composers and my notes emphasized this idea. I'd played everything years before, except for the Shostakovich, which was completely new, but the addition of this piece pulled the whole programme together, and the examiners certainly liked it.

I  there isn't a Shost Op87 P&F in G flat minor !!  Certainly one in F# minor though. The most difficult one is in G#minor and way above A dip level.  The dedicatee Tatyana Nikolayeva) was playing the whole cycle in New York, and in the G# minor fugue, walked off the stage and died shortly afterwards !  Back in 1963 I just played Bach, Beethoven and Mendelssohn for A Dip, but that was back in the days when you had to do ALL scales/arps, as well as Sight reading and Aural.

I don't see a problem with your program , 2 P&F's is fine. Is that the Bach P&F the Book 1 one.  My favourite is the Book 2 one in the same key, straightforward prelude, but difficult fugue, putting in the L dip syllabus ! I play it often and have performed it.

#6 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 16 December 2019 - 16:09

E flat minor! Too much festive mulled wine...

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17839 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 16 December 2019 - 19:47

E flat minor! Too much festive mulled wine...

Ooh I love that one, play it myself. Very brooding Prelude, and fun fugue with more accidentals than Ive seen in most of my repertoire