#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 10 December 2019 - 18:48

Every year I learn one Christmas Carol and this year it is Ding Dong Merrily on High.

What Carol are you learning if at all?

#2 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 10 December 2019 - 19:02

Normally I don't start playing carols until the afternoon of Christmas Day. This year I have already had a look at two, one being a piano and voice score for Adolphe Adam's Noel, wondering if the voice part would be effective if played on violin or viola. 

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17753 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:13

I have no idea yet what the order of service is for our church where I am playing organ on Dec 22nd, 'but the near certs'  will be 'Once in Royal Davids CIty' , 'O Come ,all ye faithful' (omit last verse), and 'Hark , the herald angels sing'... Quite likely is 'O little town of Bethlehem' and 'Silent Night', and they might fit in 'Away in a Manger'. Other possibilities include 'It came upon a midnight clear' .    

#4 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:38

Ding dong merrily is my nemesis. I always make a mistake when I play it at church, but fortunately everyone is usually too busy singing to notice.

#5 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7896 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 10 December 2019 - 21:07

Silent Night, Wise men seeking Jesus, O Little Town of Bethlehem - three carols  I am including in  our school  Christmas  Celebration. Apart from that I will probably just for pleasure play through as many carols as I can find in the various hymnbooks I possess. Among my favourites are In the bleak mid winter, Away in a manger, What child is this ?  and Brightest and best of the sons of the morning - and many, many others.  

#6 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:50

Accompaniments for Britten's Ceremony of Carols (I am trying to be a harp) and Bob Chilcott's Twelve Days of Christmas.

Can't think of two more different pieces, but both are in a concert I'm playing the piano for.

#7 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:50

Just about every bit of Christmas music possible at beginner to intermediate level with all my students, and for myself I am really enjoying playing through Faber Music’s Christmas Piano Anthology - lovely mixture of beautifully pianistic Christmas music that is a nice step away from “right hand only jingle bells” I sometimes think I love Christmas music even more than I love Christmas! Especially since this year I can plough through quite a range of easier cello Christmas music too. I feel for my poor neighbours!!

Oh and lots of sung music too - we had our choral society Candlelight Carols this past weekend and my 12 year old daughter sang with us, and the children have had various school concerts too - a delight to be part of and to watch.

#8 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6202 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:29

I've just come from a session of playing the piano at a hospital where I volunteer- much of the Christmas stuff I play is from this site: https://defordmusic....and-by-voicing/

It's free to download and play all of these. They're really good as background music for hospital lobby type playing.

#9 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:56

Carols and c*******s music are not allowed in my house! The ones I am forced to hear, on the TV or radio, I endeavour to turn down or ignore. Likewise the c*******s music I'm obliged to sing at choir throughout October and November. Luckily I can opt out of the concerts and coffee mornings that happen around this time.

#10 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3832 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:22

Have been assembling music for voluntaries before the many carol services I've got to play for. I have lovely arrangements of The Shepherds' Farewell and the Christmas Messiah pieces. I also like Corelli Christmas concerto.I've also got jazzy arrangements of carols which go down well.

#11 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6202 posts
  • Here

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:37

Have been assembling music for voluntaries before the many carol services I've got to play for. I have lovely arrangements of The Shepherds' Farewell and the Christmas Messiah pieces. I also like Corelli Christmas concerto.I've also got jazzy arrangements of carols which go down well.

Ooh, what jazz carol arrangements have you got? I have the Steinway Christmas Classics book which I like a lot, but I'd love to find some other ones. 

#12 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3832 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 11 December 2019 - 13:25

I've got Dan Coates The Professional Pianist Solos for Christmas.I've also got The Kevin Mayhew Great Big Christmas Book for Manuals. Not everything in there is jazzy but there are lots of interesting arrangements.

#13 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6202 posts
  • Here

Posted 12 December 2019 - 14:27

Thanks, I shall have a look at them for consideration for future Christmases. I have a Fred Bock book that is good

#14 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:52

Darry has posted only twice, both times just promoting a link to software. Darry, if you are reading this, please read and follow the rules of this forum, and please post about your musical journey, we would love to hear from you as a musician, just not as an advertiser!