#16 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1521 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 10 December 2019 - 22:29

It's such awful behaviour across the board, but when you consider it was in someone else's home.... It's outrageous really!

Hope you have calmed down now Boogaloo.

Some people really are the limit!

#17 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 10 December 2019 - 23:27

Goodness Boogaloo!  What a horrible experience.  No wonder you're shaken up - I think you did amazingly well to be able to carry on teaching.  

I've nothing to add to what everyone else has said, but can offer hugs  :grouphug: .  I would offer chocolate too, but you're a bit far.  However, feel free to have some on my behalf.  

Oh, and I think what you've said is wise - I also don't meet new students without someone else in the house, and if I'm at all unsure, I try to have someone around for the next few lessons as well.  Letting strangers into our homes leaves us very vulnerable.  

Take care.  

I'm afraid I've opened a bag of Giant Buttons which were a prize for the last week of term - I will blame it on you, BabyGrand!!!!!!!

And you're right, I do feel very vulnerable now. Unfortunately/fortunately we have moved to an old triple-fronted house which has huge sash windows almost floor to ceiling. I'm trying to make blinds in my spare time (haha!) but as yet have no window coverings. The house is quite close to the road and whilst there is a hedge between the windows and the road it is quite sparse in some areas. I quite like it that parents can wait in their cars but still see the lessons going on. But now I'm starting to feel like anyone who behaves like earlier knows exactly what my comings and goings are. I had to wait around a corner until they left because I just didn't want them to see my reaction.

Live and learn I guess - I've been doing this job for almost 40 years and I still get taken by surprise! luckily I've learnt to be firm but fair a long time ago and I guess some folk just don't like that as they often don't come across it in normal walks of life anymore, and there is also a take, take, take mindset from a lot of people. I'm traditional in thinking that a person gets invited into the home of another and I would never dream of just barging in and sitting down or taking over things - I guess it shocked me that a group of people would do that. I also realised that where the one mother sat uninvited she was right next to my iPhone and iPad - she could have easily bagged those had she so desired. I'm definitely going to rethink how I do things, which is a shame because I had a system which worked well and I'm also blessed with lots of lovely pupils and parents.

Thank you all so, so much for your support!

And P.S. I've edited my original post to correct all the errors - just reading it back made me realise how upset I must have been given the number of mistakes that there were!

#18 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:14

I don't want to make light of the risk element, but in hopes of reassuring you about your future security and privacy, I doubt they'll be back, or cause any future trouble. They probably live their whole lives like that, charging round with complete disregard for others, and yelling about it. They're probably already in the throes of the next family bust-up over something, or screaming at the corner shop owner for running out of milk, or at a bloke in the road for parking in the wrong place, or whatever else the world has done. I doubt you've made as much impression on them as they've made on you.

Most of us are very reasonable, and we tend to find friends like ourselves. It's only when a bit of the outside world bursts into your life that you realise just how diverse humanity actually is... makes me feel rather sorry for the police, the social services, medical resources, and everyone else who has to sort out the mess when someone gets dysfunctional. I'm guessing that kid's school don't get an easy ride either.

#19 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:06

This is not okay.

I hope you had a glass of wine afterwards!

Best of luck for the future. 

#20 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:17

What a ghastly experience! Thank goodness you found out what they were like from the outset and hadn't just taken payment for a course of lessons. 

Money can be recouped - time cannot. These people are not worthy of your time and energy. 

Makes you appreciate the nice pupils we have eh?! 

#21 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 11 December 2019 - 17:03

The only insight I can offer to this type of behaviour, is because the student or family are paying, sometimes they assume that the teacher has no choice but to comply with all demands thrown at them, including revolting personal habits.  I am sorry that Boogaloo was so shaken up, but frankly, the behaviour described is like something out of a Carry On film.  It might be an idea to check for reviews online, as unfortunately, people like that can be spiteful.  

#22 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 11 December 2019 - 18:21

Well I fell a bit better today as I've just had news that one of my little ones who began her Grade 1 work this September got 97% today! I'm absolutely delighted for her! I know I'm a good teacher but sometimes someone throws a curveball out there! Just waiting to tell this delightful pupil the fantastic news now - can't wait til she can take my call!

#23 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:57

When I used to work from home, I had one family who came with the entire family every week, got out a picnic in my spare room and charged up and downstairs to the loo. Every single week for a year. Thank goodness I now work from a studio and don’t have to put up with this!

#24 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:23

That is good news Boogaloo! 

Wow they clearly had some nerve. 

#25 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:49

Sounds awful... but at least they didn't put on a show of their best behaviour for the trial lesson, you took them on and then a couple of weeks in they started being horrendous!

#26 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:13

When I used to work from home, I had one family who came with the entire family every week, got out a picnic in my spare room and charged up and downstairs to the loo. Every single week for a year. Thank goodness I now work from a studio and don’t have to put up with this!

I've found that most home insurance cover has limits on the number of people you can have in the house at a time for business purposes. 

I think mine is either 2 or 3, and they are expected to be under supervision while there.

Worth knowing if ever anyone feels obliged to accept whatever gaggle of people turn up at your door for little Johnnie's piano lesson. This is a legitimate reason.

#27 tangoallegro

tangoallegro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Member: 898194

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:41

How awful for you. I wrote about a similar experience in another thread. I was hugely shaken by my own experience and it took me a while to recover.  However, I have been teaching almost 14 years and had only one nightmare trial lesson. Take comfort that the majority of people are kind and at least with this family you worked out their potential very quickly. Thank goodness that you weren’t stuck with that family in the long term!