#16 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 04 December 2019 - 21:51

I would love to be even stricter than I am, but in reality many parents wouldn't back you up. A few do - you get to know the ones that don't molly coddle their little darlings but insist that work is done and back up teachers - and generally these are the kids who end up doing better at school etc. Funny that! I teach two very bright, very musical but very lazy brothers. Their mother is fierce with them (in a good way)and if they haven't practised I tell her and she makes sure it is done for the next time. They need a firm hand to make sure they achieve all they are capable of.

The thing is that they actually do appreciate it. When one of them got a very good exam result last year his mother confided in me that he had said how pleased he actually was that we had pushed him.

But it's not fashionable these days - most parents want to be "friends" with their children. They do them a great service in my opinion.

#17 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 04 December 2019 - 23:15

One of my boys, in his teens, thanked me for making him practise when he was younger because he realised he'd never have achieved what he had without my support. I was really touched.

#18 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:03

What a great topic - I brought up the idea of play vs practice for discussion in every one of my lessons yesterday and I could literally see the little penny drop for most of the students. It’s not a new concept for any of them as I’m sure I’ve been droning on about it forever with them, but not in such a focused way. Think our topic for starting a new year of music in January will be “If you change the way you practice, you can change the way you play”. Myself included of course! (although I for one am not going to wait for January to implement that!)