#121 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 03 January 2020 - 16:19

Both in Real LIfe and on here, I do wish that folk who ask a question or for advice or ideas would maybe come back and say if any of the suggestions worked.  I have two RL 'pending' situations - I hate to ring and ask if the recipient has had time to try it out... but the suspense is killing me.

#122 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 03 January 2020 - 18:30

Deliberate knuckle/joint cracking is something I find insufferable.  

I've had to tell one of my teenage students a couple of times during a lesson to please refrain.  Gives me the heebie jeebies.  

My own mother has a habit of doing this too.   :sick:

#123 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17756 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 03 January 2020 - 19:18

Deliberate knuckle/joint cracking is something I find insufferable.  

I've had to tell one of my teenage students a couple of times during a lesson to please refrain.  Gives me the heebie jeebies.  

My own mother has a habit of doing this too.   :sick:

My piano teacher  did it too  (that was between 1955 and 1964) I think she was double jointed

#124 Piedflutey

Piedflutey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 899199

Posted 03 January 2020 - 21:37

the use of 'reach out' instead of contact.  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh and 'going forward' in place of in  [the] future aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

#125 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6749 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 03 January 2020 - 22:08

IMG_20170825_220440.jpg

(I posted this once before and was met with several blank looks, so for those not getting it - The Four Tops are a band, one of their major hits was a song called "Reach Out").

#126 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1319 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 03 January 2020 - 22:57

keep a totally straight face, and tell the HR people that it's no longer best practice to use the term "reach out" because for those who suffer from literal thinking and tactile sensory issues, the expression can be intimidating and cause unnecessary stress by implying inappropriate physical contact in the work-place(*); on this basis recommend they take part in a 40-min online training session on apprecation of appropriate tactile language in the work environment, presented by someone with very good hair and a big smile (with a test at the end). If you're really keen, set up a spoof website first with lots of details about this, and send them the link.

(* actually there is some truth in this; I find some forms of rude language in the work-place quite annoying because I know the meanings of the words, and see the actual items referred to when they're said, even though that wasn't the intention. It's quite off-putting at lunch-time).