#1 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 899937
  • N.Ireland

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:38

Next year I am going to England, and I really wish to bring my violin along. The case that I use for my performances in Ireland is not ideal for air travel. I have seen various cases, by Hilcox, Gewa and other renowned brands. Unfortunately I am unsure which case would be ideal. I want to aim for a good quality one because I will be travelling more with my violin in the future abroad. I would like to have some information on which case to choose.

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17753 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:02

We have found Gewa cases robust and reliable, paid about £250 for the last one, but worth it.

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4080 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:12

Maybe ask on violinist.com?

#4 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6052 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:14

A Hiscox hard case should be strong enough. I once had a violin sent to me from Wales to the Outer Hebrides, and it arrived safely. However, even in a hard case I wouldn't recommend putting it in the hold, but carrying it on board as hand baggage. I have flown with mine, and it fits in the overhead compartments. 

#5 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:35

A Hiscox hard case should be strong enough. I once had a violin sent to me from Wales to the Outer Hebrides, and it arrived safely. However, even in a hard case I wouldn't recommend putting it in the hold, but carrying it on board as hand baggage. I have flown with mine, and it fits in the overhead compartments. 

Thank you Misterioso. It seems Hiscox is the best solution for me, and its also within my price range.

#6 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Member: 7854

Posted 28 November 2019 - 18:20

The trinity case is the favourite among players who fly a lot. https://trinitycase.com/

#7 KTViola

KTViola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Member: 7854

Posted 28 November 2019 - 18:24

Also, research the airline’s rules. They’re all different, Ryanair being the worst, and easyJet one of the best.

#8 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:10

Also, research the airline’s rules. They’re all different, Ryanair being the worst, and easyJet one of the best.

Easyjet is the airline I am likely flying with. I have researched the airline's rules. Ryanair is definitely out of the list..

#9 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:10

The trinity case is the favourite among players who fly a lot. https://trinitycase.com/

#10 Bremmer

Bremmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Member: 6584

Posted 29 November 2019 - 23:18

I fly regularly with Easyjet and occasionally with Ryanair when Easyjet's winter schedules don't fit in with my dates.

I had a Bam trekking case, one that is shorter than full length with the bow in a strong tube. However I did get rather sick of telling every Easyjet employee at either Bordeaux or Luton who looked at the case and said it would have to go in the hold 'it's a violin' so I treated myself to a very expensive Trinity case with the cabin bag size suitcase as well .

This does just pass Easyjet's larger carry on size, if you are careful not to overpack around the violin case inside the wheeled suitcase. If they haven't changed it, there is also a policy with Easyjet that if you have a musical instrument in a case that doesn't have room for your other stuff, money, phone, tablet etc. you can also carry a second small piece of carry on baggage. Don't expect the staff to know this, so print it out in every language you think you might need and have it to hand to present to each person who asks you if you have booked speedy boarding and then tries to argue the point that your bag will have to go in the hold.

The latest development in September was them insisting I put the Trinity suitcase in the container thing they measure all the bags, this was a first after travelling this route for 11 years. I told them that it was actually a special violin case designed to fit in the overhead locker the correct way round and would they rather I had brought a normal size case which fairly well takes up the space of at least two normal cabin bags. This fell on deaf ears. I stuck it in the slot and with a bit of fairly brutal persuasion and pushing it went in. I wasn't pleased, neither were all the others whose bags either didn't fit or took too much shoving - all of them having to pay something like €50 euros to put these bags in the hold. Once we got on the plane, it was less than half full with acres of space for bags in the lockers !! Quite simply a money making exercise.

I flew Ryanair last weekend. The Trinity case is too big for the small cabin bag, so you would have to have their priority to be able to take on a bigger bag plus the smaller bag. They have no instrument policy. I phoned them last year specifically to ask whether the Trinity case's handle, which is actually the bow case would be allowed on board down by my feet in the cabin in a booked window seat, like with Easyjet - the answer was no we can't guarantee that, so Ryanair is a NO. You can however book a seat for your violin, €50 each way which is twice what my basic ticket cost! I do not know whether they will seat you next to your violin, or whether you have to then book two specified seats I don't know. I couldn't be bothered to ask to be honest. So, I now keep a half decent but cheaper violin and bow in UK and if I am going to play a solo and need my best violin I either fly Easyjet or drive. 800 miles...

I wish you good luck.