#33 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted 22 January 2020 - 20:44

And I’m signed up for grade 3 cello in March too...

#34 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:38

Potentially LCM Grade 2 Electric Guitar - if not this time, then definitely in the Summer. I did a lot of the work for this some time ago, but I've not had lessons for a while

LCM's guitar exams are a bit different to your usual music grade - there's no set pieces for a start. 30% is about rhythm guitar - playing from a chord chart they give you in the exam to a rhythm of your choosing, and 30% is for lead guitar - where they give you another chord chart, they play it and then you improvise a solo using the scales for that grade. Quite nerve wracking, but quite fun too. Then the rest of the marks are for testing you on scales, chords, music/instrument knowledge and some guitar-specific aural tests. 

#35 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Member: 897222
  • South Wales

Posted 30 January 2020 - 19:06

Grade 3 Theory on March 4th and then Grade 3 Performance in June ???? Deliberately taken a bit more time between grades 2 and 3 and particularly wanted to sit the 2 exams in different sessions. Very excited ????

#36 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:09

Ulp - gone and done it! Trying Grade 5 piano in March. OK, I'm actually playing grade 7 and 8 pieces at home, but I haven't done an exam of any nature for nearly 20 years and suffer with anxiety, so I'll just see what happens. If it's a disaster - fine, never again. If I can hold it together, I'll try Grade 7 in the summer.

#37 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 20:34

Ulp - gone and done it! Trying Grade 5 piano in March. OK, I'm actually playing grade 7 and 8 pieces at home, but I haven't done an exam of any nature for nearly 20 years and suffer with anxiety, so I'll just see what happens. If it's a disaster - fine, never again. If I can hold it together, I'll try Grade 7 in the summer.

Best of luck with it, it's a slightly surreal experience going back to music exams after a long break - it was 16 years for me between my grade 5 piano and grade 1 guitar and grade 4 sax exams (my sax exam happened in the exact same room as my piano exams back in the day too, for added nostalgia!). You'll be glad you've done it once you're out the other side :) what pieces are you playing? 

#38 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 21:57

Thank you Gav! I'm playing the Minuetto by Loeillet, Joueur de Harpe by Sibelius and Rektor by Lutoslavski. Three contrasting pieces, all really enjoyable to play! 

It's actually more than 25 years since I did a music exam. The last exam of any description that I took was back in 2001, and was tax exams! So not quite so scary!

#39 ABN

ABN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Member: 899576

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:44

Hi, I was planning on taking grade 4 piano this year but having listened several times to performances of the syllabus including the alternative pieces I really dont think I like any of them enough to commit the time required to get 3 pieces to an exam ready standard, so after discussing it with my teacher we have decided to take a year out from exams and instead I will have my first attempt at a forty piece challenge, I'll still work on the grade 4 scales etc but wont be taking the exam, I'll either take grade 4 when the 2021/22 syllabus is released or possibly skip to grade 5 next year, good luck to all you folks who are sitting exams this year

#40 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:58

Hi, I was planning on taking grade 4 piano this year but having listened several times to performances of the syllabus including the alternative pieces I really dont think I like any of them enough to commit the time required to get 3 pieces to an exam ready standard, so after discussing it with my teacher we have decided to take a year out from exams and instead I will have my first attempt at a forty piece challenge, I'll still work on the grade 4 scales etc but wont be taking the exam, I'll either take grade 4 when the 2021/22 syllabus is released or possibly skip to grade 5 next year, good luck to all you folks who are sitting exams this year

I think that sounds like a sensible approach. I think whatever keeps you motivated is more important than following the syllabus to a T. I hope the next syllabus has more attractive music for you. I also tend to skip grades and not take them every year. I did G1 piano, skipped G2, took G3. With my singing I started with G3, skipped G4, did G5, and will take G7 later this year. 

#41 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 13:56

Just back from Grade 5 Piano!! Eeek! I think I passed - it was the first exam or test that I have done for 16 or 17 years, so I was pretty nervous but overall I think two and a half pieces went well, I just got into a bit of a rush with the second half of the last piece, made mistakes and couldn't pull it back. I think the examiner knew I was nervous from the start, though - he asked me to play D Major hands together and for some reason my left hand though the second note in a D Major scale is E flat ... so what came out was a bit peculiar, so I panicked, tried again, same mistake - nice examiner told me to take a deep breath and the third attempt was perfect ... so I hope the exam starts with that third attempt!! I did have to restart the first two pieces, but since they were OK after that I'm hoping the examiner will be understanding. The sight reading just had one slip - I carried on but it threw the rhythm out for a bar, and the aural was fine, just one slip on the sight singing bit.

Exams are just an aside - I'm learning the piano because I love the instrument and enjoy playing music on it. But I do hope I've passed!

#42 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 22:58

Just back from Grade 5 Piano!! Eeek! I think I passed - it was the first exam or test that I have done for 16 or 17 years, so I was pretty nervous but overall I think two and a half pieces went well, I just got into a bit of a rush with the second half of the last piece, made mistakes and couldn't pull it back. I think the examiner knew I was nervous from the start, though - he asked me to play D Major hands together and for some reason my left hand though the second note in a D Major scale is E flat ... so what came out was a bit peculiar, so I panicked, tried again, same mistake - nice examiner told me to take a deep breath and the third attempt was perfect ... so I hope the exam starts with that third attempt!! I did have to restart the first two pieces, but since they were OK after that I'm hoping the examiner will be understanding. The sight reading just had one slip - I carried on but it threw the rhythm out for a bar, and the aural was fine, just one slip on the sight singing bit.

Exams are just an aside - I'm learning the piano because I love the instrument and enjoy playing music on it. But I do hope I've passed!

Nerves aside, that sounds like it's gone rather well. Fingers crossed that you get the result you want! :)

#43 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Kent

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:47

Did my first cello exam yesterday (gr 3) and loved it! A little disconcerting siting and directly facing the examiner who was probably less than a metre away from me but on the plus side, she had the full benefit of the huge tone I was somehow able to conjure up and I think it went really well. I’ve only done piano exams before and for those it’s much easier to turn your back on the examiner as you face the piano - funnily enough it was the same room I’d done my piano exams in and I remembered it being huge with the examiner sitting miles away at a tiny desk in the corner! And extremely pleased the exams went ahead - I’d been twitchy about virus cancellations all week!

#44 AllTheRightNotes

AllTheRightNotes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 899765

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:51

Any fellow learners out there reckon that the ABRSM will cancel the summer 2020 exams, considering the escalating coronovirus situation?

#45 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Kent

Posted 16 March 2020 - 15:00

Just taking it one day at a time. I have a large number of students who will be ready for the summer exams but I am already warning them that they may have to wait til later in the year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spring, music exams, ABRSM, progress