• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 23 November 2019 - 00:16

My most useful items are:
- a good quality light
- pencils
- a clock (I'm in the my eyes only camp)
- coloured tabs to mark pages with the pieces to be practiced
- a copy of every book in case the student 'forgets' their copy
- tissues
- a bin for tissues
- hand gel for use before touching the piano again
- a small selection of books/toys for waiting younger siblings
- clearly visible wifi code for waiting parents/older siblings

#47 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 23 November 2019 - 00:28

poking my nose in; my teacher had his practise book tucked away to the side of the organ keyboard. It hadn't occurred to me until I saw it, that a teacher might have to practise their own instrument. That was a useful eye-opener for me.

(also it never occurred to me anyone might have a book to record what they did).

#48 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1923 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:16

....and a glass door so the family can see that I am teaching and the pupil knows that my family can see them. It protects both of us.

#49 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 23 November 2019 - 17:58

I agree a clock can be distracting.
I use an i-pad when teaching, and it shows the time, at the top of the screen, just visible to me, but unlikely to be to anyone else.  
I find that ideal.

That’s a good idea. May I ask what you use your iPad for during lessons? Is it for taking notes?
I keep a rough lesson plan, and note briefly what we do, what works, what I didn’t have time for ...! 
Sometimes to find a clip / performance for a student to hear.

Thanks. I may start doing that. The advantage of using your iPad to check the time is that you know it will be exactly right, unlike a lot of clocks which inevitably start to run fast or slow I find.

It gives me a lot of pleasure when our clocks all chime at the same time as the pips, as long as it's not the pips on the DAB radio which are wrong! I can't take any credit, though. Winding and minding the clocks is man's work (runs and hides).

#50 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1383 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 24 November 2019 - 13:32

If I forget to close up the cuckoo in my clock, she always bellows
in the most soulful passages.

Pupil here:
Yes please to excellent lighting!
A couple of pairs of cheapo reading glasses for when we ancient types forget ours would be a kind touch. Just make sure we don't absentmindedly nick then.
Piano stool that is well adjustable so that we petite people don't have to crick our necks looking at the music desk, which can seem a mile high on some grands.

#51 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 24 November 2019 - 14:55

Yes, I have spare reading glasses and they are often used!

#52 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7844 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 24 November 2019 - 14:58

I forgot to say that I also am one of the people who like a clock with hands and numbers so that I can actually see the number of minutes left in a lesson. Mine sits on a tiny window ledge and I keep my metronome carefully placed beside it so that only I can see the clock face. I did have one boy who was always looking at his watch but have no others who do this and he has now left me because youtube is  so much easier  :( !!! ( I think what he a really  meant was that Ms YouTube didn't ever ask for his practice book or for  evidence that he had used it.)

#53 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 24 November 2019 - 22:30

My mom also has a list of apps that she recommends to pupils. She has it pinned up on a wall in her teaching room so everyone can see it.

#54 Bremmer

Bremmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Member: 6584

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:43

Pencils with rubbers on top, always 2B. I too lose them on a regular basis - pupils usually find them first.

I have a mirror, an old comfy sofa, other chairs, a table for working at theory, two music stands, a rug I don't mind cello holes in, a metronome, a CD player, a phone and a bluetooth speaker, a cupboard with music and other stuff in it and a box with the current pile of duets, piano accopaniments, aural tests, sight reading books in it. Also in this cupboard are spare strings, and some basic luthier tools,sandpaper etc to rescue dropped sound posts or do small repairs.
I have a Zoom mini 24 track recording machine and a couple of mikes.
There's always a supply of fruit pastilles and peppermint creams to offer at the end of a lesson. Mince pies at Christmas.

#55 Bremmer

Bremmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Member: 6584

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:46

I too have a clock, for years I had an aniticlockwise backwards clock which caused much amusement and some difficulties for younger children LOL. Lighting of course.