Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2019 - 18:52

Does this mean the end of handwritten mark sheets?

I think it does. Our rep told me that  from 2020 all examiners will use a pad - though  I don't know if this is just UK  or if it applies to all countries. I haven't received any info  about on line booking and I don't think it will be feasible for European tours. 

Awww... I quite like the scribbled cursive hand of the examiner; reminds me of school reports.  Still, time marches on.

#17 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 11 November 2019 - 19:31

So glad to get the email!! Even if all the last week's dates get full up quickly, just knowing the date will be so helpful - we can plan to a specific point, rather than a vague 4-6 week period! Maybe we'll even get into a routine where we start choosing the first week!! ...er...or maybe not!

#18 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:46

The results within a week will undoubtedly be the result of examiners using iPads for marksheets, which will be transmitted to the Board same day.

About time too! How will they be able to mark exams however? 

Not sure I understand, but they will mark in the same way as now. However, instead of writing their comments and marks on paper, they will write them on an iPad (using an ePen). The software automagically translates the handwriting into electronic text, flagging any spelling or arithmetical errors as it goes. I don't know if the marksheets will still be posted to teachers or whether most will be sent by email.

#19 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:38

The results within a week will undoubtedly be the result of examiners using iPads for marksheets, which will be transmitted to the Board same day.

Not sure I understand, but they will mark in the same way as now. However, instead of writing their comments and marks on paper, they will write them on an iPad (using an ePen). The software automagically translates the handwriting into electronic text, flagging any spelling or arithmetical errors as it goes. I don't know if the marksheets will still be posted to teachers or whether most will be sent by email.

Not sure I understand, but they will mark in the same way as now. However, instead of writing their comments and marks on paper, they will write them on an iPad (using an ePen). The software automatically translates the handwriting into electronic text, flagging any spelling or arithmetical errors as it goes. I don't know if the mark sheets will still be posted to teachers or whether most will be sent by email.

I meant what methods will be used. Thanks for the clarification. 

#20 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:48

I don't know if this is just UK  or if it applies to all countries. I haven't received any info  about on line booking and I don't think it will be feasible for European tours.

UK and Ireland only from January 2020, according to information at the end of the ghastly animation on the AB website.

#21 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 17 November 2019 - 14:41

Thank you Hildegarde. i tried to view the animation you mention but couldn't find it - often  you can't access certain parts of the site from outside the UK. I was just curious to see if I would also find it ghastly. :)

#22 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19956 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 17 November 2019 - 17:42

Thank you Hildegarde. i tried to view the animation you mention but couldn't find it - often  you can't access certain parts of the site from outside the UK. . :)

You’re not wrong there! I had a dreadful job trying to log on when I was out of the UK a few months ago. It would not recognise my password and I could not work out why. After wasting a lot of time, I spotted a square  at the top of the screen where I could change to the UK site. 

#23 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 17:42

Aquarelle, try https://forums.abrsm.org/fr/ and then the second graphic down on the right (with a dark red background) - I don't know if it will be visible in France, though.

#24 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 17 November 2019 - 18:00

Thanks again Hidegarde. I'm afraid the link doesn't work - "Not available on this server" You really would think that as they claim to be an international organisation you would be able to access anything from anywhere. Perhaps they haven't yet realised that not everyone lives in the UK and even if they do many people travel!

#25 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19956 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 17 November 2019 - 18:34

You would think it could at least recognise your password !!