#16 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 23:39

An alternative you may want to consider is YouTube. If you wanted to target children specifically, you could record free piano lessons for how to play hit pop songs, etc. Then offer your private tutoring at the end of each video. You can get some decent organic traffic from piggybacking on searches for pop songs. You can also boost your results with paid YouTube ads

Also You can do quality good instagram videos, use hashtags "Pianoguys,landsey striling, Piano, Piano teaching" etc

The trouble with this is that pop songs are not in the public domain so you would be infringing copyright by posting public recordings of yourself performing them, even if you have created your own arrangements of them.. To do this legally you would need to apply for permission and pay a licence fee to the copyright holders.

ETA: to publicly perform, record, arrange or copy any musical works that are still protected by copyright, you need to apply for permission from the copyright holder in order to comply with the law.

#17 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:29

Of course, we need to think about what kind of students and families we want to target. For this reason, I don't have photos of my students clutching festival trophies or exam certificates, or even a list of exam 'sucesses', as these aren't the families that I'm aiming to attract.

Similarly, I'm not going to post a how-to-play anything video on YouTube. If you want to teach pop songs, then I suppose it could work. But I think most people who learn songs from YouTube probably won't want to go on to pay for individual tuition.