#1 lingle

lingle

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts
  • Member: 240724

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:27

hello, I'm rarely on this forum nowadays as Thoracic Outlet syndrome put paid to my string quartet participation and I've returned to the dark side of practising law 4 days a week.

However my inclusive orchestra is thriving and this year I am thinking of finally tackling Fairytale. The children flock round when I play the fast section on my fiddle (I can still play if I'm standing up). It's also a favourite of the vicar at the church where we play at Christmas (apparently he spent a memorable evening with Sean McGowan in his youth!).

For the slow section ("I could have been someone - well so could anyone"), my strong players this year are on clarinet and trombone. Would I be right in thinking that the 'bone players would be best off in concert pitch Bflat doing the slow, whereas the clarinets would enjoy skipping over the fast in the same key? I think we'd be ok for flute too - it's good for them to practice those pesky Eflats!

The fast tune sits very easily under the fingers on fiddle in that key but I might lose all the hard won goodwill built up with the peris if I sneakily teaching them the flattened first finger position!

Best wishes to all forumites and by the way does anyone else miss the old essay style of Building a Library on radio 3 as much as I do?

#2 lingle

lingle

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:30

sorry, just to add, it would, of course, be infinitely easier for plucked strings up a tone but my thinking is that will make it sooo much harder for 'bone and clarinet that for once I may have to just play favourites (or modulate up, etc etc~).

#3 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4668 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:53

Hi Lingle and welcome back! :wave:

#4 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:09

For the slow section ("I could have been someone - well so could anyone"), my strong players this year are on clarinet and trombone. Would I be right in thinking that the 'bone players would be best off in concert pitch Bflat doing the slow, whereas the clarinets would enjoy skipping over the fast in the same key? I think we'd be ok for flute too - it's good for them to practice those pesky Eflats!

I'm not sure I have understood the question, but Bb major is a relatively easy key for both trombones and clarinets in Bb.

#5 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:41

I play in a local low level community band and this is one of our pieces.

I play flute and my piece is in Eb major ie 3 flats and I cope quite ok with that. Cant's see it being a great difficulty for your band. Clarinets would be fine with Bb

#6 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 07 November 2019 - 20:59

It would be perfect for beginner trombone players and clarinettists alike in Bb! On trombone, closed position plays Bb and F so they wouldn't even have to move the slide for these 2 notes (just in case that helps!)

#7 lingle

lingle

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 22:07

Thank you Norway and I hope you are well.

Having looked at this advice, I settled on doing the slow beginning in Bflat to give the young trombonists their chance of a solo. Then modulating up a second (I can’t do sectionals so tend to have to keep everyone busy most of the time).

The opening sounds lovely on trombone. Thank you.