thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 06 November 2019 - 15:07

My little sister has started preparing for her next musical theory exam. Where do I order G1 music theory books from, apart from the online shop owned by ABRSM? How do I help her prepare well for her exam as well? She understands the vocabulary but struggles with the other bits required for the exam. She just  turned six years old this week. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

This is her first exam. Since she is primarily a picture/visual learner, will flashcards work? Are there theory workbooks or not? Which resources did you use? 

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3752 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 06 November 2019 - 15:54

Lina Ng books might be appropriate for a 6 year old.Has she done any theory? If not, you could start with My first theory book and work through to the grade 1. If she has done theory already, you could go straight for the grade 1 book. You'll find all these books on Amazon.

#3 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • UK

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:53

Lina Ng books might be appropriate for a 6 year old.Has she done any theory? If not, you could start with My first theory book and work through to the grade 1. If she has done theory already, you could go straight for the grade 1 book. You'll find all these books on Amazon.

Thanks! I'll take a look. 

#4 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • UK

Posted 09 November 2019 - 16:39

And no this is her first year of doing so. She only started two months ago and her teacher told me yesterday he believes she could possibly do G1 next autumn as she seems to be a fast learner. She began shortly before her sixth birthday.