#1 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 05 November 2019 - 16:36

My husband has been banging on about learning the guitar for ages, but hasn't actually done anything about it. As a typical prospective adult learner he is overthinking the whole thing and getting nowhere. He can't decide what kind of guitar to learn, out of electric bass, or acoustic. I've found several possible teachers, who he hasn't called, because he's not sure if they're right (!). I thought that if I bought him a starter guitar for Christmas then that might give him an incentive to learn, and he might be able to learn a few chords to get him started. I don't want to spend loads and I think an acoustic is the way to go because I hate electric guitars, he can't make the decision, and the Boy wants a bass so they could share that if necessary!

So what do I buy? Do they come in diferent sizes? I was thinking of going up to Gear4music. Would that be sensible? And does he need anything to go with it? Plectrums? What strings should I be looking for? Sorry to ask so many questions but I have absolutely no idea what to buy!

And how much would I need to spend on a basic bass and amp for the Boy? Because if it's very much he's getting a jumper instead!

#2 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 05 November 2019 - 21:20

The acoustic would be better as then he can transfer the skills to the bass - bass guitar is the same strings as the lowest 4 on an acoustic. You could buy him a cheaper acoustic and he could always have a look at some online learning to start with to see if he takes to it. If he does, then eventually an upgrade could happen. Same with the bass for "the Boy". I would get to a shop and take some advice re strings etc from there - they probably will have a package especially this side of Christmas. On the whole, plectrums for the acoustic but not for bass, though I do know people who do the opposite to that so it would depend on the teacher.

#3 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 22:47

Thanks. A package deal looks like a good idea. I've had a look and found a few that are within budget in reputable shops. The bass packages are actual less than I might have expected so he might be spared the jumper!

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 05 November 2019 - 23:17

How about an electro-acoustic guitar, i.e. an acoustic guitar that also has a built in pickup with basic graphic equaliser and socket so that he can use it with an amp if he wants?  I like the ones with a moulded synthetic back - I think they are slightly cheaper because there are fewer joints in the manufacture, but have a good sound (deeper ones are better than shallow ones) and personally I find them more comfortable to hold.

#5 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:49

You wouldn't just get him a banjo? :D

Acoustic is definitely a good way to go for someone who isn't sure what they are doing. Sounds like he's best  with a steel-string acoustic (as opposed to a classical guitar). These are all available quite cheaply, and that's not to say that a cheap instrument will be dreadful, because with guitars, they've got it down to a fine art - how to make them reliably and decent. If he's a regular sized man, then a regular sized guitar is likely to be comfortable. You might want to get a selection of picks too, also not expensive.

#6 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 13:17

You wouldn't just get him a banjo? :D

Acoustic is definitely a good way to go for someone who isn't sure what they are doing. Sounds like he's best  with a steel-string acoustic (as opposed to a classical guitar). These are all available quite cheaply, and that's not to say that a cheap instrument will be dreadful, because with guitars, they've got it down to a fine art - how to make them reliably and decent. If he's a regular sized man, then a regular sized guitar is likely to be comfortable. You might want to get a selection of picks too, also not expensive.

We have a banjo, well, I have a banjo....

#7 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:57

I don't play guitar, but the above suggestions all good. If you can get a beginners' book (unless your OH is going to have guitar lessons), do - my OH bought my first ukulele with a beginner's book which was very handy. I have used Gear4Music before and they're OK. Also try the online shops of bricks-and-mortar places like Forsyths (Manchester), JG Windows (Newcastle) etc  - IMO much better than Amazon. They will likely all have festive deals.

#8 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 07 November 2019 - 14:49

My advice is to go into a guitar/music shop and see if they can help you. I also recommend either contacting a tutor or buying some beginner guitar books as well. You can also order resources from the online shop on here too, scroll down until you find guitar and then browse through the selection of books on offer https://shop.abrsm.o...ptGroupID=16569

Don't use Amazon unless it is relatively quiet. 

#9 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 17:14

I don't use Amazon any more, in fact I've closed my account.

And I've bought two guitars! I got a starter kit for the Boy on ebay a bit cheaper than it would have been in the shop. And a friend who plays the guitar said she was very pleased with the acoustic she got recently from Banks in York, and when I looked at Musicroom online it was the same price as in the shop, which was a tenner less than everywhere else, with free delivery, so I ordered it and it came today. Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure I'd have been brave enough to go ahead without it. I'm hoping that having the guitar will spur my husband on to get some lessons, but his mum's going to buy him a beginner's book to get him started. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good one?

#10 Boogaloo

Boogaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Member: 94062

Posted 07 November 2019 - 19:07

Regarding a suitable book - it depends whether he would just want to play chords or whether he would want to do some finger-picking too. Try to narrow that down before buying any books. There are a few great guitar books out there and many absolutely dreadful ones so don't just choose unless you know what you're looking for and what he would like! It might be that he has a preference for layout etc too.. As you can probably tell, I'm quite picky about books! I teach classical guitar so can't recommend any acoustic books but my comment regarding the good/dreadful ones applies to both/all!!!

#11 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 22:53

Goodness, I don't think he has a clue what he wants to do. That's part of the problem! He definitely needs a teacher (and I've got several reliable recommendations) so the book will only be a stop gap until he gets lessons, just something to tide him over the Christmas period. He'll probably look at youtube.

#12 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • UK

Posted 07 November 2019 - 23:06

Your local music store might be able to help. Yelp will have useful information on every music shop in Britain so I'd begin my search there. I also know of several good tutoring sites that have details of qualified teachers for each subject and age bracket too. Will he do exams or not?

#13 -Victoria-

-Victoria-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Member: 95535

Posted 07 November 2019 - 23:44

I'm very intrigued what you mean by this - can you elaborate?

#14 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • UK

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:37

I mean that you should not use it at Christmas because the wait times are too long if you order internationally.